[comp.dcom.lans] repeaters

derrick@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Derrick Rowlandson) (03/22/90)

I am looking at repeaters to extend the segment lenght of one
of our thinwire segments.

Cabletron have two units that seem prepared to do the job, they
are MR-2000(multiport repeater), which is a single segment version of the 8 port
multiport repeater (ie: one AUI port, one thinwire port). The
other is an LR-2000 (local repeater), which has 2 AUI connections.

What is the difference between these two, apart from the fact that
with the more expensive unit (LR-2000), you need to supply two tranceivers,
and only one for the MR-2000? (odd that the LR-2000 is more expensive).

The only advantage I can see with the LR is if you are lookng to connect two
hosts together, this would allow you to do so without a coax segment.

Comments/clarification welcome.

thanks

dr
--

   derrick@cs.AthabascaU.CA

haas@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (03/22/90)

In article <1772@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> derrick@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Derrick Rowlandson) writes:

>I am looking at repeaters to extend the segment lenght of one
>of our thinwire segments.
>
>Cabletron have two units that seem prepared to do the job, they
>are MR-2000(multiport repeater), which is a single segment version of the 8
> port multiport repeater (ie: one AUI port, one thinwire port). The
> other is an LR-2000 (local repeater), which has 2 AUI connections....
>The only advantage I can see with the LR is if you are lookng to connect two
>hosts together, this would allow you to do so without a coax segment.

The other thing you use repeaters for is to change media, eg. by putting
a Fiber Optic Transceiver on one side.  You can do this with an AUI but
not with a thinnet port.

-- Walt