[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet *WAN*

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (03/20/90)

Dear Abby,

Is it possible to run 10Mbps Ethernet over a star topology of offices up to 80
miles apart connected via 9.6 dedicated voice grade lines?

We are trying to help a company put in a big Unix system to support many
offices.  We are handling the unix/Pc Lan end of things, someone else the
wiring/ethernet stuff.

The wiring experts say "no problem... we'll just run ethernet over the whole
region."   As a result, I am pushed into a single big server configuration.

Which is fine except if the wiring won't work, the whole schmutz is wrong.
And something about this smells fishy... what about propagation times?...

Signed,
	Puzzled in Paradise.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
       uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

rnicovic@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ralph Nicovich) (03/21/90)

In article <173@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
>Dear Abby,
>
>Is it possible to run 10Mbps Ethernet over a star topology of offices up to 80
>miles apart connected via 9.6 dedicated voice grade lines?
You are correct in being concerned.
There are two types of connections you might make.
One is a Data Link Bridge. This is protocol independent, and might seem the
best, but... Just a small amount of Broadcast traffic would Swamp the 9.6
lines. Also the delays caused bu retransmitting the packets with such a
slow line might cause most packages that "think" you are on a local ENET
to retransmit because of that delay.
I would not do this unless you are extreemly careful of your aplication.

The other aproach is some type of router.
This is of course protocol dependent. Mail, FTP and TELNET would work
well in a IP enviornment, but you did not say what your aplication was.

A third aproach might be to pick a machine on each network
to work as a communication processor of some sort, but this is not
connecting the "networks" per say..

9.6 is suprisingly fast, we connect many things over one line...But
keep up to a 10Mbs Ethernet....Thats some compression alogrithim!!!

Ralph Nicovich
Network Engineering
Cal Poly State University

dave@fps.com (Dave Smith) (03/21/90)

In article <173@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
>Dear Abby,
>
>Is it possible to run 10Mbps Ethernet over a star topology of offices up to 80
>miles apart connected via 9.6 dedicated voice grade lines?

Nope.  You will have 9.6 Kb/sec Ethernet running between your offices.

>The wiring experts say "no problem... we'll just run ethernet over the whole
>region."   As a result, I am pushed into a single big server configuration.
>
>Which is fine except if the wiring won't work, the whole schmutz is wrong.
>And something about this smells fishy... what about propagation times?...

Propogation would only come into play if you were running it as one big
(electrically) Ethernet.  This is not possible and if they think it is
you should 1) fire them and 2) have them committed.

If they think they are going to run large amounts of data through bridge
boxes connected at 9.6 Kb/sec you should 1) fire them and 2) have them
committed.

If the kind of traffic you are talking about is 1 to 4 users at the remote
sites running rlogin sessions to the main site with additional traffic
running locally only this could be acceptable.  If it's just going to
be 1 to 4 users with terminal hooked to a 386 running rlogin with no other
network traffic it will probably be cheaper to get a stat mux to hook the
terminals directly to and run them across the line.

56Kbp/sec lines are probably more feasible.  You really need to figure out how
much data needs to go across the line in time X and make decisions on
what kind of speed you need.  Be sure to leave room for growth.

--
David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (03/22/90)

In article <173@mnopltd.UUCP>, neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
> Is it possible to run 10Mbps Ethernet over a star topology of offices up to 80
> miles apart connected via 9.6 dedicated voice grade lines?

1. Under un-loaded conditions, you will get a large variance in transit time
depending on packet length.  This may result in unnecessary retransmissions.

2. Under loaded conditions, when the number of packets that need to traverse
the link exceed the capacity for significant periods of time, you may get
a syndrome of repeated retransmits, and possibly what is called "congestive
collapse".  In this condition, the load is so high that packets are delayed
or dropped, which generates more retransmitted packets, etc.

3. Depending on how many packet the bridges will queue for transmit, some
protocols (e.g. ARP) may fail under some conditions, because implementations
frequently assume that the round-trip time *can't* exceed X on an Ether.

I'd advise that you investigate other people using similar software across
slow links; If you can't find any, you might not want to be the first.  If
you can, go cautiously when trying anything that you haven't seen working
in a similar environment.  Above all, *don't* let the demand across any of
the serial links exceed capacity for long.

--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901