[comp.dcom.lans] Copy Protection for MS windows based products on Novell Server.

lim@INS.CWRU.Edu (Hock-Koon Lim) (03/21/90)

    I am planning to run MicroSoft Window based product like Excel
and word on the Novell server.  However, I need to make it copy
protection.  I know set executable only in Novell filer utility, but
it did not work for this ms products.  If I set it executable only,
the program will not be able to find it.   I recall this question has
been asked on this board but I don't remember is there any solution
for it.

  If set executable will not be able to do the copy protection job,
is anyone has other suggestion?  Can I make the executable file
invisable from the user?

Thanks,

--
Hock-Koon Lim, Information Network services
Case Western Reserve University; Cleveland, Ohio, USA  44106

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar20.194938.22881@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, lim@INS.CWRU.Edu (Hock-Koon Lim) writes:
>     I am planning to run MicroSoft Window based product like Excel
> and word on the Novell server.  However, I need to make it copy
> protection.  I know set executable only in Novell filer utility, but
> it did not work for this ms products.  If I set it executable only,
> the program will not be able to find it.   I recall this question has
> been asked on this board but I don't remember is there any solution
> for it.
>
>   If set executable will not be able to do the copy protection job,
> is anyone has other suggestion?  Can I make the executable file
> invisable from the user?

I've tried hiding some executables. This works for some, but not for others (eg.
Excel). I rang Microsoft, and the answer was "you should have used LAN Manager".
I asked if the latter offered copy protection. The answer was "no, who needs
it?". If I try as hard as possible to protect the software, and Microsoft
won't help, I can't get too worried about the software being copied.

--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983