[comp.dcom.lans] Dos Unix Novell Netware

manoj@excelan.COM (manoj @ Prod Mktg) (04/09/90)

In article <3581@infmx.UUCP>, markj@infmx.UUCP (Mark Jeske) writes:
> In article <1990Mar10.152732.613@robohack.UUCP> rsteeves@robohack.UUCP (Randy Steeves) writes:
> >I am attempting to assemble a network database server. The server
> >will run under Unix or OS/2, the workstations are DOS based and
> >the network software is Novell's netware 286. The workstations
> >are AT based machines and the server is a 386 based machine.
> >
> >My question is has anyone done such a thing. I was originally
> >told by Informix that the Unix server would not be a problem, but
> >on further investigation it seems that DOS, Netware, and Unix
> >TCP/IP will not be a happy combination. Under the OS/2 solution
> >there seems to be a problem with the DOS workstations
> >comunicating with the OS/2 server (Sybase).
> >
> >I would greatly apreciate any suggestions on this.

Novell;s DOS and OS/2 stations support both TCP/IP and IPX..
So you need to find a data base vendor that runs either IPX or TCP/IP on the
choice of your platform at both the server and client end..

Oracle and Sybase are prime examples.. others also provide networking
using TCP/IP, IPX.. If the database server is under Unix or OS/2, I suggest to
go the TCP/IP route for networking and IPX for Netware access.

Your network will look like DOS and OS/2 clients running IPX and TCP/IP.
Unix servers running data base services on TCP/IP and Netware servers running
IPX services for the DOS and OS/2 clients..
This is a workable and possible solution today.
I can send you an app. note and spec sheet for the concurrent
TCP/IP and IPX connectivity at your DOS and OS/2 desktop.

-manoj@novell.com

	                                 		+---+
	manoj goel,                                  	| +-+-+
	Product Marketing              			+-+-+ |
        Excelan/Novell, San Jose, CA 		 	  +---+
	(408) 473-8369 (voice) / 433-0775 (fax)
		When all else fails, read the instructions!