[comp.dcom.lans] Netware 386

dalm@warwick.UUCP (D A L Michael) (04/16/89)

Has anyone heard about Netware/386? Presumably Novell must have one in the
pipe line as Netware/286 has now been around for some time. I would be
interested to know when it is likely to become available, and also what
sort of new features is it going to have.

David
dalm@warwick.cs

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (04/21/89)

The trade magazines have had several articles recently about several
companies working with Novell to produce what Novell's magazine LAN TIMES
(April, 1989 -- front page) calls Portable NetWare.  To summarize, NCR and
Prime Computer helped develop Novell-under-UNIX which will include all sorts
of good networking stuff including support for NFS, TOPS (Sun) as well
as ANSI C, and POSIX.  As far as I can tell, Novell licenses the OS to
different vendors who then do as they wish with it.  Some are to have
dedicated servers that run in the full 386 mode, others are going to implement
it under UNIX, others might do something different.  Since the source is being
licensed, there may well be Novell support for non-Intel machines soon.
Speculation as to where it will all go is left as an exercise for the reader ...

Products are expected to be generally available 4th quarter.  Given how things
go these days (ie., Novell 2.15) who knows when it will actually be.
The best thing is to bug your local Novell dealer for a peek at the April
LAN TIMES.

Hope this helps,
Stefan Brandle
Stefan Brandle                           UUCP: ...!{spl1,obdient}!wheaton!stefan
Wheaton College                          "But I never claimed to be sane!"
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (312) 260-4992 ---------

rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) (06/06/90)

We use AT&T StarLAN here at UofL, and a future customer is wanting to setup a
Novell network based on Netware 386 (which I know little to nothing about).
Some one was telling me that it was at this time Vaporware, if not all of it,
then parts of it were (things like the PC-2-Mac parts).

Is this true?  Is anybody running both AT&T StarGroup/Unix and Novell Netware
386, as to be able to give me an idea if Novell really out-performs StarGroup?

Thanks in Advance (E-Mail replies preferred)

Rob Miracle
--
Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01@ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

barry@sun.udel.edu (Barry Fausnaugh) (06/07/90)

In article <157rwmira01@ULKYVX.bitnet> rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) writes:
>Some one was telling me that it was at this time Vaporware, if not all of it,
>then parts of it were (things like the PC-2-Mac parts).
>Is this true?  Is anybody running both AT&T StarGroup/Unix and Novell Netware
>386, as to be able to give me an idea if Novell really out-performs StarGroup?

I can't compare the two because I've only used Netware.  We are waiting for our
upgrade to 386 to come in any day here.  However, Novell has been pushing back
bits of pieces of Netware 386.  One of those pieces is Netware for Mac which is
currently slated to be releases in September I believe (I'm not from Novell so
don't quote me on that!)  I remember reading an article in LAN magazine a little
while ago that compared Netware 286 to Netware 386.  That's about the best I
can offer you for comparison though.  If you are interested in the article, let
me know and I'll find it and let you know where to find it.

Barry Fausnaugh