[comp.dcom.lans] When is an Ethernet full?

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (05/29/90)

When is an ethernet full?  We have a campus backbone composed of a
chipcom  10 Mbs ethernet over broadband and a UB 5 Mbs ethernet over
broadband (buffered repeaters).  The UB and chipcom networks are bridged
to form one logical networks.  According to our Network General sniffer,
we constantly maintain about 10-15 percent utilization or (300 - 1000
packets per second).   How much more traffic can this network support
before performance falls off measurably?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steven Wallace
Indiana University
wallaces@ucs.indiana.edu

craig@bbn.com (Craig Partridge) (05/29/90)

> When is an ethernet full?  ....
> According to our Network General sniffer,
> we constantly maintain about 10-15 percent utilization or (300 - 1000
> packets per second).   How much more traffic can this network support
> before performance falls off measurably?  Any ideas?

The best place I know of to start answering this question is Boggs,
Mogul and Kent's article in Proc. of SIGCOMM '88 pp. 222-233.  The
gist of that article is that you can drive the Ethernet all the way
to its rated capacity assuming you are careful in the way you lay out
your network, and all your systems have good Ethernet hardware.

In practice of course, many of the systems won't have good Ethernet
hardware (for example, Jacobson's talk at SIGCOMM '88 indicated he'd
found an Ethernet chipset that could only go about 6 Mbits/sec).  So
you need to find some people out there with some good practical experience
about when some of their systems start breaking down, to figure out when
your network will die due to poor hardware/software.

Craig

rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) (05/30/90)

In article <1141@cica.cica.indiana.edu>, ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve
Wallace) writes...

>When is an ethernet full?  We have a campus backbone composed of a
>chipcom  10 Mbs ethernet over broadband and a UB 5 Mbs ethernet over
>broadband (buffered repeaters).  The UB and chipcom networks are bridged
>to form one logical networks.  According to our Network General sniffer,
>we constantly maintain about 10-15 percent utilization or (300 - 1000
>packets per second).   How much more traffic can this network support
>before performance falls off measurably?  Any ideas?

We have a similar setup here. There are about 50 Chipcom's connected to
our broadband backbone. All but 3 are coupled to DEC Lanbridges to
keep local traffic local. We have had similar 1 minute averages and
peaks of 3-4 times as much. As far as we can tell everyone is
satisfied with the performance with these numbers. We have had
other performance problems not caused by traffic volume.

Rusty Smith			Internet:  rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu
MACC Data Communications	Bitnet:    rsmith@wiscmacc
(608)  263-6307			Univ. of Wisconsin @ Madison

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (05/30/90)

>When is an ethernet full?  We have a campus backbone composed of a
>chipcom  10 Mbs ethernet over broadband and a UB 5 Mbs ethernet over
>broadband (buffered repeaters).  The UB and chipcom networks are bridged
>to form one logical networks.  According to our Network General sniffer,
>we constantly maintain about 10-15 percent utilization or (300 - 1000
>packets per second).   How much more traffic can this network support
>before performance falls off measurably?  Any ideas?

I'd like to see you get data with a bit more time resolution.  It's a
bit unusual for networks to run at 10-15% all the time, day and night.
More typically, there's a long-term variation over the course of a
day, with more traffic during the day than night, and short-term
variation as people boot machines, transfer big files, or do other
things that cause a short-term demand for bandwidth.  If you're
running at 10% 24 hours a day, this suggests either a very odd mix of
users and applications, or that most of your bandwidth is going to
broadcast packets produced by rwhod or things of that nature.  I have
heard of networks with a constant broadcast load of that sort.  In
that case, replacing some or all of your bridges with routers might be
more useful than trying to increase the bandwidth.  In general I'd
expect a peak to average ratio of about 10 to 1.  That is, if you are
averaging 10% usage, you are probably using 100% during brief periods.
So you're about at capacity.  If your 10% is made up mostly of a
continuous background of broadcast packets, this might not be the
case.  But if you've really got that much broadcast traffic, you've
got other problems.  Like your hosts are all spending significant CPU
dealing with it.  If your 10% represents the maxima of your peaks,
rather than a true average, then you're probably in good shape and
still have some room to grow.

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (05/30/90)

A little more info.

     We have about 45 IP subnets all behind cisco routers.  We
route appletalk phase I, DECnet, and bridge IPX.  Between the
hours of 9am to 5pm we see a pretty steady 10 - 15 percent load.
Sometimes this drops to 2 percent but only for very brief
periods.

Steven Wallace
wallaces@ucs.indiana.edu

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (05/30/90)

One thing you want to be SURE and remember is that the ethernet on
broadband stuff has a significant distance limitation.  If your campus
cable system is a as large as I suspect, then the 10broad36 channel is
probably working more as csma than csma/cd and the effective channel
capacity is ~2 Mb not 10 Mb.  That is why we use 802.4 for backbone
applications it also uses much less bandwidth.  The UB stuff is also
just CSMA (if my memory serves me).  In both cases, the effective
channel capacity is approximately 35% of the data rate.  If you
calculate the maximum number of packets on an 802.3 channel it is
about 13,000 and scale accordingly I don't think you are overloaded
based on your numbers.  However, this is a tricky thing to find out.
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
                     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
Brussels
--

wyatt@cfa250.harvard.edu (Bill Wyatt) (05/31/90)

>When is an ethernet full? [...]
>we constantly maintain about 10-15 percent utilization or (300 - 1000 [...]

I highly recommend you get a copy of the DEC Western Research Lab
WRL Research Report 88/4, titled:
 `Measured Capacity of an Ethernet: Myths and Reality'
by Boggs, Mogul, and Kent. It's also in the SIGCOMM '88 proceedings.

They conducted real-world measurements on a test Ethernet, and
found that the wire is capable of sustaining >90% utilization
under most circumstances.

The report is available via email from wrl-techreports@decwrl.de.com in
PostScript form. (Or {...}!decwrl!wrl-techreports for UUCP.)

All you do is send mail to an archive server with the Subject line
containing `send postscript 88/4', and no message in the body.
The file is 602 Kbytes, so the server may take a while to send the
to you, but you will get an acknowledgement of your request.

You can also say `send help' to get a more informative message, see
how to get an index to all the reports, etc.

Bill Wyatt, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)
    UUCP :  {husc6,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
 Internet:   wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu
     SPAN:   cfa::wyatt                 BITNET: wyatt@cfa

--

nigelc@lnfgi1.UUCP (Nigel T. Cook) (06/06/90)

In article <1920@cfa200.cfa250.harvard.edu> wyatt@cfa250.harvard.edu (Bill Wyatt) writes:
>I highly recommend you get a copy of the DEC Western Research Lab
>WRL Research Report 88/4, titled:
	[Stuff deleted]
>All you do is send mail to an archive server with the Subject line
>containing `send postscript 88/4', and no message in the body.
>The file is 602 Kbytes, so the server may take a while to send the
>to you, but you will get an acknowledgement of your request.

I tried doing this some time back. I got my ack from the server, then some
time later a message saying that the mailer limit was something like .5MB.
I cant understand why dec has these things on-line but unobtainable, or
why it isnt sotred on the server as Part1 and Part2 so it can be fetched.
--
Nigel Cook,   Mail Drop 257		Fax:	+1 215 6993702
Leeds and Northrup Co			Voice:	+1 215 6992000 Ext 3045

ihsan@ficc.ferranti.com (jaleel ihsan) (06/08/90)

In article <265@lnfgi1.UUCP>, nigelc@lnfgi1.UUCP (Nigel T. Cook) writes:
> In article <1920@cfa200.cfa250.harvard.edu> wyatt@cfa250.harvard.edu (Bill Wyatt) writes:
> >I highly recommend you get a copy of the DEC Western Research Lab
> >WRL Research Report 88/4, titled:
> 	[Stuff deleted]
> >All you do is send mail to an archive server with the Subject line
> >containing `send postscript 88/4', and no message in the body.
> >The file is 602 Kbytes, so the server may take a while to send the
> >to you, but you will get an acknowledgement of your request.
>
> I tried doing this some time back. I got my ack from the server, then some
> time later a message saying that the mailer limit was something like .5MB.
> I cant understand why dec has these things on-line but unobtainable, or
> why it isnt sotred on the server as Part1 and Part2 so it can be fetched.
> --

It happened to me too.  You people at DEC's wrl should clean up your act :-(

Jaleel

davew@viper.gvg.tek.com (Dave White) (06/08/90)

> >I cant understand why dec has these things on-line but unobtainable, or
> > why it isnt sotred on the server as Part1 and Part2 so it can be fetched.
>
> It happened to me too.  You people at DEC's wrl should clean up your act :-(

Hmm...  I sent mail to the server and got the document back within a
couple of hours.  Are you sure that the problem isn't with some
intermediate site?  I received the paper as one part with no problem.
I notice that your mail forwarder is uunet.uu.net.  Perhaps the limitation
is there and not with decwrl.

ihsan@ficc.ferranti.com (jaleel ihsan) (06/10/90)

In article <1062@gold.GVG.TEK.COM>, davew@viper.gvg.tek.com (Dave White) writes:

> > >I cant understand why dec has these things on-line but unobtainable, or
> > > why it isnt sotred on the server as Part1 and Part2 so it can be fetched.
> >
> > It happened to me too.  You people at DEC's wrl should clean up your act :-(
>
> Hmm...  I sent mail to the server and got the document back within a
> couple of hours.  Are you sure that the problem isn't with some
> intermediate site?  I received the paper as one part with no problem.
> I notice that your mail forwarder is uunet.uu.net.  Perhaps the limitation
> is there and not with decwrl.

I get big files from nic and bitftp all the time through uunet :-)

Jaleel