[comp.dcom.lans] ST or SMA fiber connectors

blais@ut-emx.UUCP (Donald Blais) (06/05/90)

Vendors of fiber optic cabling and fiber optic transceivers often
provide the option of using SMA or ST connectors.  In selecting a
standard for a site where no standard is yet established, why should
one choose ST over SMA or vice versa.  The application, in this case,
would be a large campus Ethernet data distribution system that would
later be upgraded for FDDI.
--
Donald E. Blais             Internet: blais@emx.utexas.edu
Computation Center          BITNET:   blais@UTAIVC

haas@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (06/05/90)

In article <30971@ut-emx.UUCP> blais@ut-emx.UUCP (Donald E. Blais) writes:
>Vendors of fiber optic cabling and fiber optic transceivers often
>provide the option of using SMA or ST connectors.  In selecting a
>standard for a site where no standard is yet established, why should
>one choose ST over SMA or vice versa.

We have both on campus but like the ST better because it goes on more easily
thus keeping costs low, and connects in a more reproducible manner.  The ST
is like a miniature BNC with a key that causes it to align a certain way
every time you connect.  The SMA on the other hand allows the connector to
rotate while it is tightened.  The skill with which the connector is installed
will have a major effect on the performance of the connector.

-- Walt Haas    haas@cs.utah.edu

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun5.082908.26719@hellgate.utah.edu>, haas@cs.utah.edu
(Walt Haas) writes:

> We have both on campus but like the ST better because it goes on more easily
> thus keeping costs low, and connects in a more reproducible manner.  The ST
> is like a miniature BNC with a key that causes it to align a certain way
> every time you connect.  The SMA on the other hand allows the connector to
> rotate while it is tightened.  The skill with which the connector is
installed
> will have a major effect on the performance of the connector.
>
> -- Walt Haas    haas@cs.utah.edu

	I second Walt's analysis.  STs align much better than SMAs.  We started
out with SMAs on Proteon's Pronet-80 and switched to STs for all but the f/o
interfaces.  You can make or buy a custom patch cord for end-node termination
to anything that is not ST.

	I'd like to find a good non-epoxy, non-polish ST or FSD connector.  That
would really save some money in the field.

	We have been playing around with AMP's FSD (Full Shroud Duplex) connectors.
We are finding them very tricky to build and so are considering staying
with STs
for field connectorization in the FDDI environment.  We would buy the FSD patch
cords.	Anyone found a field connector for FSD that works well?

	Kent England
	Boston University

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (06/06/90)

In article <30971@ut-emx.UUCP>, blais@ut-emx.UUCP (Donald Blais) writes:
> Vendors of fiber optic cabling and fiber optic transceivers often
> provide the option of using SMA or ST connectors.  In selecting a
> standard for a site where no standard is yet established, why should
> one choose ST over SMA or vice versa.  The application, in this case,
> would be a large campus Ethernet data distribution system that would
> later be upgraded for FDDI.
> --
> Donald E. Blais             Internet: blais@emx.utexas.edu

The FDDI standard requires neither STs nor SMAs, but MICs.

Much of the FDDI hardware now being shipped uses STs, often hidden behind
the shells that turn a pair of ST plugs into a MIC recepticle.  I do not
know if such shells are available for anything except STs.

If you use STs now, you can later use such shells and some short MIC jumper
cables to convert your cable plant.  It would cost the insertion loss of an
extra connector, but would be easier and could be cheaper than
reterminating.  (Actually, unless you are good with the polishing pads, you
might have less insertion loss with two machine terminations than with one
field termination, and so might come out ahead in loss budget by using such
jumpers.)  Also, if you use STs, you might be able to connect them directly
to your FDDI equipment, after discarding a shell or jumper cable.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (06/12/90)

In article <61655@sgi.sgi.com>, vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon
Schryver) writes:

> The FDDI standard requires neither STs nor SMAs, but MICs.

	That is true, but if you are building a campus backbone fiber optic
cable plant, you may wish to build your patch panels with STs and not FSDs
(Fixed Shroud Duplex) or MICs or whatever we call the FDDI connector.

> Much of the FDDI hardware now being shipped uses STs, often hidden behind
> the shells that turn a pair of ST plugs into a MIC recepticle.  I do not
> know if such shells are available for anything except STs.

	We are piloting some desktop fiber using the AMP FSDs.  AMP (and
others) let you make FSD wall outlets and patch panel outlets using a pair
of STs and a jig to create a FSD.  You can field terminate a pair of STs,
plug them into a mechanical connector, and, presto!, you have a FSD.

	But we are talking "horizontal fiber" or "desktop fiber" and not
"vertical fiber" or "riser".  There is a big difference between inter-
building and intra-building distribution.  The desktop fiber needs to
take account of the FSDs of the workstations/routers, but the intra-
building cable plant does not (unless you decide that the duplex connector
is a great idea).

> If you use STs now, you can later use such shells and some short MIC jumper
> cables to convert your cable plant.  It would cost the insertion loss of an
> extra connector, but would be easier and could be cheaper than
> reterminating.  (Actually, unless you are good with the polishing pads, you
> might have less insertion loss with two machine terminations than with one
> field termination, and so might come out ahead in loss budget by using such
> jumpers.)  Also, if you use STs, you might be able to connect them directly
> to your FDDI equipment, after discarding a shell or jumper cable.

	We are finding the AMP FSD kits to be quite difficult to do in the field.
The mechanical tolerances are quite tight, and you are forced to polish both
ferrules simultaneously.  If one connector is ruined, you are forced to redo
both.  Makes us wonder whether we should use FSDs any more than we have to.
But the technology is still young and we are hopeful that we will find better
field termination strategies for the FSDs.

	But we are planning to use patch cords to a wall outlet with the
fiber pair terminated on a patch panel, cross-connected to the f/o equipment.
This standard approach requires connector matings at the:

	workstation
	wall outlet
	patch panel (2)
	concentrator

	I would not think it wise to try to eliminate any of these connections,
or one would lose the flexibility needed in the cable plant.  This methodology
is independent of medium; we use this approach on unshielded twisted pair,
thin coax and everything else.

	Thanks, Vernon.  I'm not disagreeing with what you said, just pointing
out some other considerations in deploying fiber.

	--Kent England, Boston University

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (06/12/90)

In article <58608@bu.edu.bu.edu>, kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
> We are finding the AMP FSD kits to be quite difficult to do in the field.
> The mechanical tolerances are quite tight, and you are forced to polish both
> ferrules simultaneously....

I think we are talking about two different duplex thingies.  I think you
are talking about the official, genuine, fearsome MIC.  I meant a piece of
plastic that makes two ST plugs into a MIC recepticle.  The ones I've used
are intended for p.c.board mounting, but work fine dangling in air.  They
have the semblence of a pair of ST recepticles on the back.

Vernon Schryver
vjs@sgi.com