[comp.dcom.lans] Looking for point-to-point Ethernet connection

mwarren@mips2.cr.bull.com (Mark Warren) (06/14/90)

We are looking for a vendor who makes a Ethernet device that allows two
Ethernet stations to be privately connected at the AUI interface (15
pin transceiver cable) level.  That is, we want to make a
point-to-point connection for only two machines with Ethernet
controllers, but without having to provide a pair of tranceivers and a
hunk of thick cable, or a Delni.

The device must be completely hardware/software transparent, that is,
the machines connceted to it will behave exactly as if they were
connected to a real Ethernet cable.

If you are such a vendor,  or if you know of any, please respond via e-mail.
(Might as well post a reply also - I know of other people who are looking
for something like this.)
--

 == Mark Warren                      Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
 == (508) 294-3171 (FAX 671-3020)    300 Concord Road     MS820A      ==

pjj@ntrlink.interlink.com (Patrick Johnston) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun13.183259.9752@mips2.cr.bull.com> mwarren@mips2.cr.bull.com (Mark Warren) writes:
>We are looking for a vendor who makes a Ethernet device that allows two
>Ethernet stations to be privately connected at the AUI interface (15
>pin transceiver cable) level.  That is, we want to make a
>point-to-point connection for only two machines with Ethernet
>controllers, but without having to provide a pair of tranceivers and a
>hunk of thick cable, or a Delni.

I had the same problem and I called the black box catalog.  This month
they started offering a device that will do just that.  They have a 2
port and a 4 port model.  The cost was around US$400.00.  I don't
remember the part number off hand, but their support guys knew exactly
what my customer needed.

Patrick Johnston	Manager, International Marketing & Support
pjj@interlink.com	Interlink Computer Sciences
sun!ntrlink!pjj		47370 Fremont Blvd
			Fremont, California 94538
voice:	415/657-9800	fax:    415/659-6381