[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet UTP to ThinNet device?

AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) (06/15/90)

I have a question about Ethernet on twisted-pair.  Is there a small
device that will convert twisted pair to thin coax (not 15-pin AUI)?

I'm thinking about running twisted pair to some PCs with Ethernet cards
that only have the thin coax connector, and not the 15-pin connector.
There would be a short piece of thin coax between the PC and this adapter
(plus tee's and terminators if needed), and then twisted pair from
the adapter to the hub in the phone closet.

------                            ----      ======
! HUB !---------------------------!  !------! PC !
-------    Twisted Pair           ---- coax ======

Does this exist and/or is it legal?  If so, could I string two PCs
off the adapter?

Thanks for any information.

- Alan Millar   AMillar@cup.portal.com

gt4957b@prism.gatech.EDU (BACCHUS,MARK ALAN) (06/15/90)

In article <30802@cup.portal.com> AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan Millar) writes:
>I have a question about Ethernet on twisted-pair.  Is there a small
>device that will convert twisted pair to thin coax (not 15-pin AUI)?
>
>------                            ----      ======
>! HUB !---------------------------!  !------! PC !
>-------    Twisted Pair           ---- coax ======

3Com makes a device called a 'Pair Taimer' which does just what you describe.
It can convert thin coax to twisted pair and back again, allowing the
workstation to use a standard thin ethernet card.

 -----                                                 ----
| HUB |------[PT]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[PT]------| PC |
 -----  coax           twisted pair              coax  ----

Mark Bacchus
School of Information and Computer Science
Internet : gt4957b@prism.gatech.edu

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (06/15/90)

In article <30802@cup.portal.com> AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) writes:
>I have a question about Ethernet on twisted-pair.  Is there a small
>device that will convert twisted pair to thin coax (not 15-pin AUI)?

AT&T makes a 10baseT (Draft10) to thinnet adapter (BNC). It's called "The
Starlan10 coax adapter".

This thing is legal too. It's really a 2 port 10baseT hub. 1 port is twisted
pair and the other port is BNC (ie; it does signal regeneration, 10baseT
precompensation etc).

It's also backward compatable to earlier 10baseT draft (pre Draft10) product
(ie: you can turn Link Integrity on/off).

This is a NEW AT&T Starlan product, all AT&T Starlan product introduced after
4/90 (cards, hubs, adapters etc) are full 10baseT Draft10 compatable (new chip
set that they manufacture) and backward compatable to pre Draft10 (old AT&T
Starlan10, UB, HP Starlan10 etc).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

In article <10518@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4957b@prism.gatech.EDU (BACCHUS,MARK ALAN) writes:
>In article <30802@cup.portal.com> AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan Millar) writes:
>>I have a question about Ethernet on twisted-pair.  Is there a small
>>device that will convert twisted pair to thin coax (not 15-pin AUI)?
>>

>3Com makes a device called a 'Pair Taimer' which does just what you describe.
>It can convert thin coax to twisted pair and back again, allowing the
>workstation to use a standard thin ethernet card.

Though this is a good, inexpensive way to connect coax to TP (and I'm in NO
WAY knocking it, it has it's place due to it's low cost), it is not a standard
and will not function in existing 10baseT environments or with 10baseT products.