[comp.dcom.lans] Thinnet <-> twisted pair

dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) (06/27/90)

Here's the original posting:

In article <10518@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4957b@prism.gatech.EDU (BACCHUS,MARK ALAN) writes:
>In article <30802@cup.portal.com> AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan Millar) writes:

>>------                            ----      ======
>>! HUB !---------------------------!  !------! PC !
>>-------    Twisted Pair           ---- coax ======

> -----                                                 ----
>| HUB |------[PT]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[PT]------| PC |
> -----  coax           twisted pair              coax  ----

I have been looking for a device to do the former.  There are a lot of
people making UTP ethernet hubs that don't provide thinnet connections.
I have yet to find what I'm looking for.  By the way, I'm designing an
ethernet network consisting of a fiber backbone with several thinnet
spines to tie together a mini, ~8 workstations, and ~8 AppleTalk networks.
I have been looking for a arck or wall mount cabinet with plug in modules
for fiber, thinnet, and perhaps UTP, and maybe even AppleTalk.
(...am I dreaming?)  Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?
If you send e-mail I will be glad to summarize for the net.

Here are the summaries:

---
From: reed!ogicse.UUCP!prism.gatech.edu!qseclrb (BOB BAGGERMAN)

Take a look at the 3Com MultiConnect Modular Multiport Repeater.  I have one
and its kind of neat.  It is a chassis with 15 plug in slots and can be
expanded to 45 slots.  3Com has a number of different plug-in cards for the
slots including thin ethernet, transceiver (DIX/AUI), and fiber optic.  3Com
also has something called a "pair tamer" for use with UTP.  Check 'em out.

---
From: Greg German <reed!ogicse.UUCP!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!german>

Cabletron is nice for straight ethernets.  They run a tad expensive, but I have
had no problems with almost $1,000,000 worth of their products over the last
few years.  We use them mostly for thin coax home runs within departments, but
have some 10baseT UPT cards and a few of their fiber modules.

Lately we have installed some equipement from Plexcom.  They seem to be a new
but strong engineering company and among the unique features the currently
have is the ability to have a 16 port Nuvotech star controller in their central
chassis concentrator.  They have 1, 2, 4, 10 and 14 slot boxes, SNMP options,
10baseT, fiber, token ring (on UTP), 3270 and ethernet bridging options.
They were still working on their thin coax card last time I looked, but we
have been using them in mixed AppleTalk/10baseT ethernet environments.

I find 3Com's Multiconnect technology on too small of a scale for my needs,
but it might have a fit in smaller installations.

---
From: reed!ogicse.UUCP!DSD.3Mail.3Com.COM!Jack_Moses

Dan, have you looked at 3Com's MultiConnect platform?  /Jack

---
From: reed!ogicse.UUCP!mtunh.ATT.COM!wla

AT&T sells a Coax Adapter.  This unit is a full blown
two port repeater (Unlike the equivalent devices from competitors).
It is powerd via a wall mounted transformer.  It is 1.25 X 5 X 8 inches.

It supports the full IEEE 10BASE2 required 185 Meters & 30 users on COAX.
Twisted pair side is 10BASE-T Draft 10.

---
From: reed!ogicse.UUCP!decwrl!apple!netcom!jbreeden (John Breeden)

The AT&T Starlan10 coax adapter does just that. It's a thinnet coax to
10baseT Draft10 adapter. It will interwork with any 10baseT product (it
even provides backwards compatability to earlier draft product - ie: you
can turn Link Integraty OFF).

It's really a one port hub and provides all the 10baseT hub functions
(signal regeneration, pre-compensation etc).

---
From: Antonio Querubin  <reed!oresoft.UUCP!uunet!uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu!querubin>

You might want to call H/P about their Ethertwist product line.  They make
a very nice and cheap 10BaseT hub with a thin & thick Ethernet port.

---
From: reed!oresoft.UUCP!uunet!aecom.yu.edu!naftoli (Robert N. Berlinger)

Cabletron makes a media conversion box they call the CTP-100 which
will allow 10 thin net nodes on a 100 meter thin segment to
be tailed off a 100 meter 10BaseT UTP run.

---
From: Klaus Becker -- IRA <reed!oresoft.UUCP!uunet!ira.uka.de!becker>

Take a look at Access/One from Ungermann-Bass.
It's not a cheap solution but there are Modules for

	- Ethernet (8 Ports)
	- Thinwire (8 Ports)
	- Fiberoptic (Backbone)
	- Localtalk (16 Ports = 16 Localtalks, really good)

iand Modules for FDDI, Terminalservers, 3270-Hosts and -Terminals,
Bridges, Token-Ring .....

The Ungermann Bass UTP to Thinwire Converter is not an active Element.
The maximum length of th Thinwire Segments is degraded according to the
the length of the Twisted Pair used.

---
That's all folks.

--
dan@lclark
tektronix!reed!lclark!dan			Dylsexics untie! (-|