[comp.dcom.lans] MMJ vs. RJ12?

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (06/27/90)

bob@kahala.soest.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) writes:

>Would someone who knows please say what the difference is between
>MMJ and RJ12 jacks?

>I have to specify for some terminal server-related equipment.  I THINK
>they're both 6-wire modular jacks (similar to the 4-wire RJ11), but
>if that's true, I can't figure out what the difference would be
>between them.

>thanks,

The only difference is, that the locking nose is assymmetric
on the MMJ, and symmetric on the RJ12. So you can't plug a RJ12
into a MMJ, and vice versa.

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende, D-8046 Garching, West Germany
BITNET:  K2@DGABLG5P            Internet: k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de

DHWalker@uci.edu (David Walker) (06/29/90)

In article <3102@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de>
k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) writes:
> >Would someone who knows please say what the difference is between
> >MMJ and RJ12 jacks?
> The only difference is, that the locking nose is assymmetric
> on the MMJ, and symmetric on the RJ12. So you can't plug a RJ12
> into a MMJ, and vice versa.

Right.  We used to use MMJ jacks, but switched to RJ12.  The advantage of
MMJ jacks is that you can't plug-in something (like a phone) that
shouldn't be there.  The disadvantage is that you can't plug-in something
(like Farallon PhoneNet) that wasn't intended to be there.  The RJ12 jack
gives you much more flexibility, and it can also accept RJ11 plugs without
modification.

                               David Walker
                               Network Services Manager
                               UC Irvine