[comp.dcom.lans] Novell Ethernet card running PC-NFS

andrew@megadata.mega.oz (Andrew McRae) (06/28/90)

We have a number of PC's running Novell, which have Novell
supplied Ethernet cards. We wish to keep the cards, and
move the PC's over to a TCP/IP network running PC-NFS.

I have been told that the Novell cards can't run under
PC-NFS, due to the lack of a driver. Is a driver available
that would allow the cards to work under PC-NFS?

The card board number (BD #) is 738-160-001 Rev C.

Thanks for the help,

Andrew McRae			inet:	andrew@megadata.mega.oz.au
Megadata Pty Ltd,		uucp:	..!uunet!megadata.mega.oz.au!andrew
North Ryde  2113		Phone:	+61 2 805 0899
NSW    AUSTRALIA		Fax:	+61 2 887 4847

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (06/28/90)

Quoth andrew@megadata.mega.oz (Andrew McRae) (in <308@megadata.mega.oz>):
#
#I have been told that the Novell cards can't run under
#PC-NFS, due to the lack of a driver. Is a driver available
#that would allow the cards to work under PC-NFS?
#
#The card board number (BD #) is 738-160-001 Rev C.

Does anyone know of a packet driver or an NDIS driver for this beast?
That would seem like the obvious solution.

Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)
<<<< PC-NFS (*not* PC/NFS)is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems >>>>
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamed of
in your philosophy" - and every one of them requires an IP address...

Ken_C_Neubauer@cup.portal.com (06/28/90)

>We have a number of PC's running Novell, which have Novell
>supplied Ethernet cards. We wish to keep the cards, and
>move the PC's over to a TCP/IP network running PC-NFS.
>
>I have been told that the Novell cards can't run under
>PC-NFS, due to the lack of a driver. Is a driver available
>that would allow the cards to work under PC-NFS?
>
>The card board number (BD #) is 738-160-001 Rev C.
>
>Thanks for the help,
>
>Andrew McRae

You do not have a very good Novell salesman. Unless you are hung-
up on Sun's PC-NFS, a better solution may be Novell's TCP/IP product,
and along with that you can add the NFS software ontop of Novell's
TCP/IP.

If you are interested here are the details;

Wyle Laboratories
(408)727-2500
(They are a distributor for Novell products)

Lan Workplace for DOS	9870094-00	$263.00
TCP/IP			9870093-00	$ 94.00

Beame & Whiteside Software
(416)648-6556	{Note that this is in Canada)

BWNFS-Excelan				$200.00

I think you will find this combination a suitable replacement for
Sun's PC-NFS. The Novell products are also available for OS/2, but
Beame & Whiteside have no present plans of porting their NFS to OS/2,
but then I doubt that Sun has any plans of porting PC-NFS to OS/2 either!
It is a little more expensive then Sun's PS-NFS $395 compared to $557,
but it is less memory entensive and MUCH easier to install

Ken Neubauer

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with either Novell/Wyle or Beame &
	Whiteside, I am only passing on my experiences with the
	above products and also 3 years of experience with Sun's PC-NFS.

keith@excelan.COM (Keith Brown) (06/29/90)

>#
>#I have been told that the Novell cards can't run under
>#PC-NFS, due to the lack of a driver. Is a driver available
>#that would allow the cards to work under PC-NFS?
>#
>#The card board number (BD #) is 738-160-001 Rev C.
>
>Does anyone know of a packet driver or an NDIS driver for this beast?
>That would seem like the obvious solution.
>
>Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)

Indeed it would, and indeed there are! From the part number you quote I would
guess you have an NE1000. There are pkt drivers for both the NE1000 and
NE2000. I use the NE2000 one from time to time myself and it works fine.
I haven't yet seen one for the NE2 though. I get my PD's from
"sun.soe.clarkson.edu". I understand this to be the central repository
outside of NetWire. They have an archive server if you don't have FTP.

Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
San Jose, California 95131                       Net:   keith@novell.COM

In article <2111@east.East.Sun.COM> geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:

   Quoth andrew@megadata.mega.oz (Andrew McRae) (in <308@megadata.mega.oz>):
   #We have a number of PC's running Novell, which have Novell
   #supplied Ethernet cards. We wish to keep the cards, and
   #move the PC's over to a TCP/IP network running PC-NFS.
   #
   #I have been told that the Novell cards can't run under
   #PC-NFS, due to the lack of a driver. Is a driver available
   #that would allow the cards to work under PC-NFS?
   #
   #The card board number (BD #) is 738-160-001 Rev C.

   Does anyone know of a packet driver or an NDIS driver for this beast?

It's probably a NE1000.  Try the ne1000 packet driver.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
In Communism's central planning, citizens are told "you will make widgets".