[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet boards for laptops?

srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) (06/30/90)

In article <NELSON.90Jun25230741@image.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>In article <1990Jun25.235218.14734@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:
>
>   karn@envy.bellcore.com writes:
>   >So...can anybody suggest an PC Ethernet card that is a) physically
>   >small, b) consumes very low power, c) has software selectable transceiver
>   >connectors, and d) is supported by a Clarkson packet driver?
>
>   I'm not sure how this may fit into your plans, but there are some network
>   connectors for PC's that plug into the parallel port.
>
>You mean the Xircom && clones?  I'm not sure that they even *have* a
>thickwire connector.  Phil's tough nut is point c).  The 3c503 is the
>only Ethernet card that I am aware of that has a software selectable
>transciever connector.  As Phil stated in deleted text, the 3c503 doesn't
>fit in his laptop.
>
>--
>--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
>In Communism's central planning, citizens are told "you will make widgets".
>In Capitalism's advertising, citizens are told "you will buy widgets".

I just got the Xircom fold-out from PC-Expo.  It shows 7 models: 2 Token-Ring,
3 Ether-Net, and 2 ArcNet.  The PE10BX is for THICK EtherNet.

*	Steven R. Gerber - PAL (Programmer At Large)
*	srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
*	Tel:	212-794-8721
*	UUCP:	...rutgers!columbia!cunixd!srg
*	FAX:	212-794-8722

mikes@banyan.UUCP (Mike Skrzypczak@Eng@Banyan) (06/30/90)

I just got a look at a BICC ethernet card. The one I saw was a 16 bit card,
and slightly shorter in length than the 3C503, but slightly taller as well.
The card has a push button transceiver selector switch that pops out the
rear mounting bracket, and thus makes it easy to switch transceivers
(without having to take apart the machine.). BICC is supposed to make an
8-bit card as well...that card may be smaller and consume less power.

BICC Data Networks 4110 and 4117 have been assigned FTP packet driver
interface types of 4 and 5, however, I do not know if the work was
ever done to support the card. Maybe someone else can help out with that
information.

Mike Skrzypczak
Banyan Systems Inc.