[comp.dcom.lans] UB Ethernet Novell+TCPIP

gts@violet.berkeley.edu (Greg Small) (07/10/90)

= From: pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs)  Sender: anon@rouge.usl.edu
= Date: 23 Jun 90 04:02:41 GMT
= Setup:  IBM PS/2 70's and 80's with Ungermann Bass NICPS/2 MCA ethernet cards.
= I have Novell Netware running but cannot use it with any tcpip software.
= PD packet drivers (clarkson...) do not support this board.

UB supplies a generic Ethernet driver for Novell 2.15 that operates through
a raw socket in their TCPBIOS drivers (TCPPC 16.1 BNS).  The TCPBIOS supports
TCP, UDP, IP and raw sessions.  They supply Telnet, FTP and Netbios support over
TCP/IP.   We provide TN3270.   MS-Kermit 3.01 can operate as a Telnet VT102/
TEK4014 emulator using UB's NetOne service built into the TCPBIOS.  They also
have a socket library.

This works great for UB's smart adapters because the TCPBIOS interface only
takes 20k.   For the dumb adapters, the drivers are considerably larger (100k
to 160k).

Also NCSA Telnet works with the UB dumb boards.   I do not know if anyone has
arranged adapter sharing between Novell and NCSA.

Gregory T Small                                      (415)642-5979
Personal Computer Networking & Communications        gts@violet.Berkeley.EDU
Workstation Support Services - Software Group        ucbvax!jade!gts
267 Evans Hall                                       SPGGTS@UCBCMSA.BITNET
University of California, Berkeley, Ca 94720