[comp.dcom.lans] Novell to tcp/ip gateways

abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (David Neal) (07/07/90)

Hello, I am looking for information on linking Novell networks
running netware into a tcp/ip based network of suns.

I want the pc users to be able to telnet into the ip network.

Mail and nfs mounting of disks is less important but would be useful.

David Neal
abbadon@nuchat.uucp
abbadon%nuchat@{texbell,bcm,rice,uunet}

nelson@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (J. Nelson Howell) (07/10/90)

In article <25539@nuchat.UUCP> abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (David Neal) writes:

>Hello, I am looking for information on linking Novell networks
>running netware into a tcp/ip based network of suns.
>
>I want the pc users to be able to telnet into the ip network.

I also am looking for similar information.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks.

J. Nelson Howell                       | System Programmer
nelson@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu  Internet | Krannert Graduate School of Management
NELSON@PURCCVM                BITNET   | Purdue University

manoj@excelan.COM (manoj @ Prod Mktg) (07/11/90)

In article <25539@nuchat.UUCP>, abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (David Neal) writes:

> Hello, I am looking for information on linking Novell networks
> running netware into a tcp/ip based network of suns.
> I want the pc users to be able to telnet into the ip network.

Novell has a family of prodcts for DOS, OS/2 and Macintosh that allows you
concurrent access to both TCP hosts (telnet, ftp etc..) and also NetWare systems

call them for literature on LAN WORKPLACE they are not gateways in NetWare
but direct connect from the client desktop itself..

	manoj goel,                             	0 0
        Product Marketing                        	 ^
        Novell/Excelan Inc., San Jose, CA            	\_/
  (408) 473-8369 (voice) / 433-0775 (fax)     Internet: manoj@novell.com
	"For every vision, there is an equal but opposite revision"

towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mark Towfigh) (07/11/90)

In article <12010@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> nelson@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
(J. Nelson Howell) writes:

   In article <25539@nuchat.UUCP> abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (David Neal) writes:

   >Hello, I am looking for information on linking Novell networks
   >running netware into a tcp/ip based network of suns.
   >
   >I want the pc users to be able to telnet into the ip network.

   I also am looking for similar information.

   Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Take a look at the Racal InterLan TCP Gateway (sits in a Netware
Server), or, if you can wait, the soon-to-be-released TCP Server
(stand-alone OS/2 server).  This really isn't a plug; I would mention
other products that did this if I knew of any!
--
Mark Towfigh, Racal InterLan, Inc.                 towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM
W: (508) 263-9929 H: (617) 488-2818                       uunet!interlan!towfiq

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (07/12/90)

{{{ followups directed out of tcp-ip }}}

In article <1524@excelan.COM> manoj@excelan.COM (manoj @ Prod Mktg) writes:
>call them for literature on LAN WORKPLACE

Ha!  This is pretty funny.  Mr. Goel, why don't *you* try calling them
for literature.  I did a couple of weeks back.  The closest I ever got
was your voice mail system, and a few days later, a good round of telephone
tag with a sales critter.  I shudder to think that if it's this tough to
get sales help, what's it going to be like to get applications support?
Never did get to talk to anybody.  Needless to say, the client will not
be using Novell products for this project.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (07/12/90)

Boy this one hit a sympathetic nerve.  This happens to me twice a week,
a USENET article, a Communications Week article, a chance dialog
with a peer and I'm interested in a 3.5Mbit TCP drainstopper from
DrainTCP Inc, and then the telephone tag begins.

Similar to the postmaster@draintcp.com concept, I'd love to see a standard
of info@draintcp.com where I can ask for the 3.5Mbit TCP drainstopper,
append my postal address and get a "porn pack" of information through
the surface mails.  A response via email asking me for some more details,
"are you interested in the garden variety or the counter rotating version"
is not a problem.

The real shame here is that the smaller the company the more critical this is,
AT&T can afford to send 100 phone answerers to Florida on
a moments notice to answer inquiries, small companies have next to no
flexibility, esp during daylight.  And this is perfect evening work
for those who want to succeed....

Marty