[comp.dcom.lans] NETBIOS over ethernet/tokenring

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (07/11/90)

Does anyone know where I can get the packet layouts for NETBIOS on tokenring?
Ie the data packet formats which are inside the token ring data blocks?

Are there any standards for NETBIOS over ETHERNET?

toner@drivax.UUCP (Steve Toner) (07/12/90)

In article <j9l35d6n5@tmsoft.uucp> mshiels@tmsoft.UUCP (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get the packet layouts for NETBIOS on tokenring?
>Ie the data packet formats which are inside the token ring data blocks?

This information is contained in the IBM document "Local Area Network Technical
Reference", SC30-3383-2.  You may also want to get a copy of the "IBM Token
Ring Network Architecture Reference", SC30-3374.

>Are there any standards for NETBIOS over ETHERNET?

Dunno.  I asked this question a while back on this very same newsgroup, and
the one response I got said to implement IEEE 802.2 on Ethernet, then run the
Token Ring protocols on top of that.  Makes sense, except that IBM has seen
fit to do things that are not strictly 802.2 or 802.3 compatible. *sigh*
For instance, IBM has these things they call functional addresses, which can
almost be treated as multicast addresses provided you swap all the bits
around in each byte of the address...

I know that Performance Technology of San Antonio (Texas, in case you weren't
sure) has an implementation of NETBIOS on Ethernet, but I don't know what it
looks like.  They did publish the standard for NETBIOS on ARCNET, in case
anybody's looking for that... ("ARCNET NETBIOS Protocol Standard", April 20
1988)

If anybody has any other information about NETBIOS on Ethernet, I'd also be
interested in hearing about it...

/Steve Toner			...!uunet!drivax!toner
--