[comp.dcom.lans] Alternatives to PCI wanted

bei@halley.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) (07/12/90)

Evaluating the Sparcstation port of PC Interface has made me see the need
for some other UNIX <> MSDOS bridges to check out.  The product that we
finally go with will have Ungermann-Bass NIU-PC and Excelan support, and
should be able to run on any or all of these:
Sun 3 AND 4
MIPS
Sun Sparcstation 1
Sun SLC (?)
Our need is primarily for an application that will allow our ethernet
hosts to act as print servers (and maybe file servers for future use)
for an assortment of MS-DOS ATs talking to Postscript and HP Laserjet
printers.  Transparency and reliability are a plus, natch.  Has anyone
got any recommendations/war stories?
-- Bob
--

                       Bob Izenberg [ ] Tandem Computers, Inc.
           cs.utexas.edu!halley!bei [ ] 512 244 8837

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (07/13/90)

In article <919@halley.UUCP> bei@halley.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) writes:
>Evaluating the Sparcstation port of PC Interface has made me see the need
>for some other UNIX <> MSDOS bridges to check out. [...]
>                       Bob Izenberg [ ] Tandem Computers, Inc.
>           cs.utexas.edu!halley!bei [ ] 512 244 8837

We are very happy with PCI hosted on our Prime EXLs.  If you a specific
problem, you can reach Locus Computing on the net at lcc.jeb@seas.ucla.edu
(Actually, this is Julia Broidy, a technical support person whom I've
 found to be knowledgable).  Since we have contemplated other unix platforms,
what exactly did you find wrong with the SPARCstation version?

Dan
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Mortgage Capital Corporation
uunet!dag@fmccva.franklin.com		7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130