[comp.dcom.lans] TCP/IP and X.25 Books

a1059@mindlink.UUCP (Tim Roy) (07/10/90)

        Could anyone recommend any books that deal with TCP/IP and X.25
protocols.  Books that are general in nature and ones that deal with specific
implementation details are needed.  I don't suppose that there is any public
domain source floating around out there?

        Please email all replies.  Thanks.

Tim Roy
No sig, no problems

johnan@mchale.ism.isc.com (John Antypas) (07/11/90)

In article <2397@mindlink.UUCP> a1059@mindlink.UUCP (Tim Roy) writes:

>        Could anyone recommend any books that deal with TCP/IP and X.25
>protocols.  Books that are general in nature and ones that deal with specific
>implementation details are needed.  I don't suppose that there is any public
>domain source floating around out there?
>
>        Please email all replies.  Thanks.
>
>Tim Roy
>No sig, no problems

I too would like a good X.25 book (or DecNet for that matter!), but
for TCP/IP, here are my favorates:

- TCP/IP An Internetworking Approach, Doug Comer / Prentace Hall
- Computer Networks, Andrew Tanannbaum (??) / Prentace Hall
- Unix Network Programming, Richard Stevens / Prentace Hall
- Unix Network Programming, (unknown) / Hayden Books

To the net:  Anyone know of a good X.25 protocol level book, or
             one for DecNet or SNA

John Antypas / Interactive Systems Corp.
uucp: ...!uunet!ism.isc.com!johnan    Internet: johnan@ism.isc.com
All statements above responsability of the author.

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (07/13/90)

In article <2397@mindlink.UUCP> a1059@mindlink.UUCP (Tim Roy) writes:
>Could anyone recommend any books that deal with TCP/IP and X.25
>protocols.  Books that are general in nature and ones that deal with specific
>implementation details are needed.

For X.25, an extremely good overview is:

	X.25:  The PSN Connection
	Hewlett Packard P/N 5958-3402

It can be ordered from HP's direct marketing department at 800-538-8787
for $30.  The book is written so you can skip the detailed sections to
get an overview of X.25 works.  If you read the entire chapter, you'll
get into the various formats and fields and bits.  The book is a bit dated
(1985), but then again so is X.25.  I got a good chuckle out of the survey
of modem technology in the introduction.

For TCP/IP, the classic is Comer's book |Internetworking with TCP/IP|
printed by Prentice-Hall.

Another book, which just focuses upon the TCP/IP protocol standards is:

	Handbook of Computer-Communications Standards, Volume 3
	William Stallings
	Howard W. Sams & Company, 1987

This book has a chapter dedicated to each of the most widely use portions
of the DARPA Internet Protocol Suite:  Internet Protocol, Transmission
Control Protocol, File Transfer Protocol, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol,
and TELNET.  This one costs $35.  It's a very concise book.  It's the
first thing I read on TCP/IP protocols, and I feel I walked away with a
reasonable grasp of the basics.

Of course, if you want to get down and dirty, there are always the specs.
The CCITT X.25 recommendations can be purchased from places like Omnicom,
but they are very expensive.  Any good engineering library should have
these.  The TCP/IP specs, on the other hand, are documented in the Internet
Request for Comments, and you can get those for free.  A mail message to
"service@nic.ddn.mil" with a subject of "HELP" will tell you how.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

mtarrani@crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul11.161848.19683@ism.isc.com> johnan@mchale.ism.isc.com (John Antypas) writes:
>In article <2397@mindlink.UUCP> a1059@mindlink.UUCP (Tim Roy) writes:
>>
>>        Could anyone recommend any books that deal with TCP/IP and X.25
>>protocols.  Books that are general in nature and ones that deal with specific
>>implementation details are needed.  I don't suppose that there is any public
>>domain source floating around out there?
>>
>>        Please email all replies.  Thanks.
>>
>>Tim Roy
>>No sig, no problems
>
>I too would like a good X.25 book (or DecNet for that matter!), but
>for TCP/IP, here are my favorates:
>
>- TCP/IP An Internetworking Approach, Doug Comer / Prentace Hall
>- Computer Networks, Andrew Tanannbaum (??) / Prentace Hall
>- Unix Network Programming, Richard Stevens / Prentace Hall
>- Unix Network Programming, (unknown) / Hayden Books
>
>To the net:  Anyone know of a good X.25 protocol level book, or
>             one for DecNet or SNA

Try the following books on X.25, DecNet and SNA:

Inside X.25: A Manager's Guide, McGraw-Hill
SNA:IBM's Networking Solution, James Martin, Prentice-Hall
Introduction to SNA Networking Using VTAM/NCP, Ranade & Sackett,
McGraw-Hill
DEC Networks and Architectures, Malamud, McGraw-Hill

--
Mike Tarrani          crash!mtarrani@nosc.mil
Network Analyst       Network Engineering Technologies

chucka@cup.portal.com (Charles - Anderson) (07/14/90)

A good X.25 book:

	"X.25 Explained"
	protocols for packet switcheing networks.
		by
	R. J. Deasington

It is very clear. I picked it up at Computer Literacy in
good ole San Jose.

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (07/14/90)

In article <1395@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>Another book, which just focuses upon the TCP/IP protocol standards is:
>
>	Handbook of Computer-Communications Standards, Volume 3
>	William Stallings
>	Howard W. Sams & Company, 1987
>
>This book has a chapter dedicated to each of the most widely use portions
>of the DARPA Internet Protocol Suite:  Internet Protocol, Transmission
>Control Protocol, File Transfer Protocol, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol,
>and TELNET.  This one costs $35.  It's a very concise book.  It's the
>first thing I read on TCP/IP protocols, and I feel I walked away with a
>reasonable grasp of the basics.

Note that second editions of this set have appeared; the one I have seen
(the above volume) expands upon the more recent developments in the Internet
protocol areas (I have only paged through it, but ARP & EGP are two that
come to mind as being either expanded or added).

<
<
<
<