[comp.dcom.lans] Using local printer with TCP/IP

eing@cosmo.UUCP (Hubert Eing/Hubert Eing Textilveredlung) (07/02/90)

I want to connect a PC under MS-DOS over a TCP/IP connection
to a Unix Host under 386/ix from Interactive with 386/ix TCP/IP.
Is it possible to use the local printer on the PC as a UNIX printer ?
---
Thanks in advance

Pau Abbing

matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) (07/04/90)

In article <5807@balu.UUCP> eing@cosmo.UUCP (Hubert Eing/Hubert Eing Textilveredlung) writes:
>I want to connect a PC under MS-DOS over a TCP/IP connection
>to a Unix Host under 386/ix from Interactive with 386/ix TCP/IP.
>Is it possible to use the local printer on the PC as a UNIX printer ?

Not that I know of using standard TCP/IP and/or PC-NFS.  The way printer
sharing is implemented under UNIX TCP/IP is via a daemon that talks with
whoever wants to print on that machine's printer.  Since MS-DOS is single-
tasking (unless you consider TSR's to be a crude form of multi-tasking) there
is not an easy way to do this.

However, MS-DOS hackers are very clever and there may someone out there
who has written a TSR to do something like this.

matt
---
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!dptspd!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp. Internet: iquery!matt@cs.utexas.edu
400 N Loop 1604 E, Suite 100
San Antonio, TX  78232        (512) 490 6684  Fax: (512) 490-3590

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (07/05/90)

There is an outfit in Sweden called nexus that makes a product called
lanpr which does this and MUCH more.  They are on the net as
lanpr@nexus.se so send them some email if you are interested.  I am
NOT connected with them in any way except that my distr{ibutor in
Sweden swears by it and I trust him.
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
                     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
Brussels
--

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (07/12/90)

Textilveredlung) writes:

$ I want to connect a PC under MS-DOS over a TCP/IP connection
$ to a Unix Host under 386/ix from Interactive with 386/ix TCP/IP.
$ Is it possible to use the local printer on the PC as a UNIX printer ?

One approach to this would be to port or emulate Berkeley Unix's lpd
program to MS-DOS.  It would tie up the PC however.  Unless, however,
as someone has already suggested, this could be run as a TSR.  If you
*did* port lpd, I would be interested in getting a copy.  Unix people
would be very happy to use a printing hos that used lpd (line printer
daemon), and they would not know that the host was not running Unix.

On your Unix system, you would need to run lpr and lpq.  I think
they are available for System V.
--
                                        Tom Reingold
                                        tr@samadams.princeton.edu

jeg@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (John E. Girard) (07/17/90)

In my last job I set up old floppy-only PCs to be printer managers
with great success.  The trouble with using a daemon on the server
is that the printer has to be with the server, and generally, you
can't send 8-bit characters and bit rasters.

All you have to do is make a directory on the server that everyone
can read/write, and put a simple (even basic) program on the PC that
waits 20 seconds or so then checks the directory for the presence of
files.  If files are present, the program uses a shell call to copy
them, one-by-one, to the printer port, them remove them.  If the PC
or the printer hangs,
the file won't be deleted and you can try again to print it.  Other
neat things you can do:  Password protect the little printing program,
make another directory to "hold" files until the user gets to the
printer, place a special character at the start of the names of the
files that need special handling, such as binary bit-raster graphic
files for an HP laser printer.

All the user needs to do is to print to disk, in fact directly to
the network disk if possible.  Otherwise, the file can be printed
locally and a batch file can copy it over to the network disk.  My
spool batch file script had several options including -f to just
send the file as-is, -p to send the file via my word processor invoked
as a batch task, and -b to send it as a binary file (dos /b option)
and put a special character in the start of the name.

Spooling is very fast when it consists solely of copying a file to
a network disk.  And the PC doing the printing just cranks them out
as quickly as it can, without bogging anyone down.  If you have
several PCs, you can put them around the office so no one has to
walk to far to a printer, and the file server can stay safely locked
in the closet.

John Girard
jeg@zorch.sf-bay.com