[comp.dcom.lans] Concurrent NetBIOS and TCP/IP acces over a single adapter?

markw@qcc-hal.UUCP (Mark Wileniec) (07/21/90)

This may be a strange question, but, I have to ask it anyway.

Has anyone come across a package, or set of packages, which would
allow a user on a PC to access other PC's through NetBIOS, and,
without rebooting the PC, allow for NFS access and, perhaps,
remote login onto a SUN platform running TCP/IP?

The scenario in mind is one where the SUN platform acts as the
file server through TCP/IP and NFS. It would also act as our
platform for UNIX code development through the remote login
capability. On the flip side, we also want to run some
NetBIOS applications between PC's as well. (We cannot, at
this time migrate either set of functionality/applications
to either NetBIOS, or TCP/IP.)

The ideal situation would be to have the NetBIOS interface and TCP/IP
NFS/rlogin interface active at the same time, preferably with only
one ethernet card. SUN distrbutes a package called PC NFS which
provides all of the SUN related functionality required. It works with
the 3COM board. There are several NetBIOS interface packages around which
also work with the 3COM board. So far, the only solution seems to be
rebooting of the PC and loading the required software. Has anyone
seen, done, tried this type of arrangement? Is it possible to get
two packages to coexist? Pitfalls? Hints?

Thanks in advance!

--
Mark Wileniec                                     QCC Communications Corporation
(306) 665-6488                                          #4 - 2345 Avenue C North

manoj@excelan.COM (manoj @ Prod Mktg) (07/22/90)

In article <676@qcc-hal.UUCP>, markw@qcc-hal.UUCP (Mark Wileniec) writes:

> This may be a strange question, but, I have to ask it anyway.
>
> Has anyone come across a package, or set of packages, which would
> allow a user on a PC to access other PC's through NetBIOS, and,
> without rebooting the PC, allow for NFS access and, perhaps,
> remote login onto a SUN platform running TCP/IP?

Mark.. A number of packages out in the market from DOS TCP/IP vendors should
accomplish this. The solution from Novell is called LAN WORKPLACE for DOS
and in conjunction with a 3rd party NFS will do all of above plus allow
your PC to also be a NetWare client..Novell info is at 800-LANKIND

The 3rd party NFS pcakages that run on LWP/DOS are Beame & Whiteside BW-NFS,
(416) 648 6556; Siemens UK's PC-DFS 44 344 850 461...