[comp.dcom.lans] econfig for netware 386?

j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (07/18/90)

How does one do econfig (or equivalent) for NetWare 386?

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (07/20/90)

In article <7020001@hpfcso.HP.COM> j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) writes:
>How does one do econfig (or equivalent) for NetWare 386?

This is much improved in NetWare 386 because you don't have to modify
any binary files.  Instead, you just load the ethernet LAN driver with
the appropriate frame parameter.  For example, to use standard
ethernet encapsulation with E-type 8137 for IPX, add
"frame=ethernet_II" to the LAN driver's command line in autoexec.ncf:

	load ne2000 port=340 int=5 frame=ethernet_ii

The default framing type is (unfortunately) the standard "raw" 802.3
format.

I'm afraid there's no way to use an E-type other than 8137 in NetWare
386.  (You might think the "protocol register" command would do the
trick, but for complicated reasons, it doesn't work for IPX.)  If this
is a problem for you, drop me a line.  I'd like to know how many
non-8137 IPX's are running out there, and why.

					don provan
					donp@novell.com

keith@excelan.COM (Keith Brown) (07/20/90)

In article <7020001@hpfcso.HP.COM> j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) writes:
>How does one do econfig (or equivalent) for NetWare 386?

It's done when you load your LAN driver. With 386, the LAN driver MLID's
support multiple encapsulation methodolodies concurrently (unlike 286
where the the LAN drivers can only support one concurrently).

The best way to demonstrate is by example. Suppose you had both "econfig"'d
clients and non "econfig"'d clients on the same LAN. Both types of client
would be able to see a 386 server with a single NE2000 if you were to fire
up your server like this....

: load NE2000 int=2 port=320 frame=ETHERNET_802.3 name=salmon
: load NE2000 int=2 port=320 frame=ETHERNET_II name=haddock
: bind ipx to salmon net=1234
: bind ipx to haddock net=5678

The "frame=ETHERNET_802.3" parameter isn't actually needed on the first line
as it's the default. Note that this DOES NOT load 2 copies of the NE2000
driver in to memory. The second load just adds the additional framing support
and uses the existing driver re-entrantly. Other frame types supported
are ETHERNET_802.2 and ETHERNET_SNAP. Note that you have set up two logical
IPX nets here through the same interface. The IPX network numbers used
on each should be unique on your internetwork.

Keith
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
San Jose, California 95131                       Net:   keith@novell.COM

In article <1575@excelan.COM> keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) writes:
>: load NE2000 int=2 port=320 frame=ETHERNET_802.3 name=salmon
>: load NE2000 int=2 port=320 frame=ETHERNET_II name=haddock
>: bind ipx to salmon net=1234
>: bind ipx to haddock net=5678
>Other frame types supported are ETHERNET_802.2 and ETHERNET_SNAP....

To avoid confusion, we should point out that Keith's excellent
discussion assumes you're using the NetWare 386 3.1 release, which
most of you probably haven't received yet.  In particular, the "name"
parameter, the frame types ETHERNET_802.2 and ETHERNET_SNAP, and the
ability to load a LAN driver twice for the same LAN board were not in
the NetWare 3.0 release.  Patience.
						don provan
						donp@novell.com

morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (07/24/90)

Keith Brown writes:

> : load NE2000 int=2 port=320 frame=ETHERNET_802.3 name=salmon
> : load NE2000 int=2 port=320 frame=ETHERNET_II name=haddock
>
> Other frame types supported are ETHERNET_802.2 and ETHERNET_SNAP.

Hmm, I can guess that ETHERNET_802.3 is the traditional unfortunate
IPX-on-802.3, and that ETHERNET_II uses EtherType 8137, and that
ETHERNET_SNAP uses SNAP OUI zero and EtherType 8137, but what could
ETHERNET_802.2 be?  Does NetWare have its own 802.2 SAP?

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul23.193519.29856@portia.Stanford.EDU> morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:
>Keith Brown writes:
>> Other frame types supported are ETHERNET_802.2 and ETHERNET_SNAP.
>
>Hmm, I can guess that ETHERNET_802.3 is the traditional unfortunate
>IPX-on-802.3, and that ETHERNET_II uses EtherType 8137, and that
>ETHERNET_SNAP uses SNAP OUI zero and EtherType 8137, but what could
>ETHERNET_802.2 be?  Does NetWare have its own 802.2 SAP?

I think your questions are best answered by pointing out that NetWare
386 LAN drivers are used for protocols other than NetWare's IPX.

I'm going to diplomatically dodge your last question, since i don't
really know the answer.  Novell's IPX development group thinks IPX has
an 802.2 SAP (hex E0), but personally i find that hard to believe.

						don provan
						donp@novell.com