[comp.dcom.lans] LAN Analyzers?

hayes@shiva.trl.oz (Mark Hayes) (07/26/90)

I know this has been discussed (many times?) before, but here goes.
Can someone supply me with a comparison of the various LAN Analyzers
which are available.  We are interested in purchasing such a device
for low level (MAC, LLC) performance measurements more than higher
layer (TCP/IP) debugging.  There also seems to be a few new machines
appearing such as from Siemens, Wandel & Goltermann, etc.

I would think that many people who have been through this exercise
would have this info filed away, and if they could email/post it I
would appreciate it.

We are interested in features such as:

Traffic generation: max. loading, ability to specify contents of whole
	packet, ability to mix packet lengths, ability to received and
	process packets while generating traffic.

Data capture: max. capture rate to buffer and disk, storage/buffer
	size, capture of whole packet, timestamp resolution.

LANs supported: eg. Ethernet/802.3, Token Ring, StarLAN, etc.

Other features: eg. triggering, capture of short/runt packets and
	collision fragments, filtering facilities for data capture
	processing, frame numbering/sequencing, programmability(?).

Thanks in advance,
mdh
Mark Hayes					Research Labs,
m.hayes@trl.oz.au				Telecom Australia

fortinp@bcars223.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (07/27/90)

In article <1955@trlluna.trl.oz>, hayes@shiva.trl.oz (Mark Hayes) writes:
> I know this has been discussed (many times?) before, but here goes.
> Can someone supply me with a comparison of the various LAN Analyzers
[stuff deleted]

> Thanks in advance,
> mdh
> Mark Hayes					Research Labs,
> m.hayes@trl.oz.au				Telecom Australia

The June 26th issue of PC Magazine has a fairly extensive review of various
LAN analyzers.  Whichever you decide on, read the article carefully on that
model:  there are a number of interesting comments about features and
especially limitations.  You are sufficiently advised in this article, as
long as you are paying attention...

Good Luck,
Pierre Fortin
fortinp@bnr.ca