[comp.dcom.lans] Can I "null-modem"?

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (07/25/90)

> Deos anyone know how to "null-modem" a pair of machines together using the 15
> conductor standard? I only need to go a couple feet.

	I think this question deserves the status of true LAN legend, like
the urban legends and the net legend about the dying kid who wants postcards.
It's a question that just will not die.  :-)  Well, I suppose it is reasonable
on the surface of it.  Half-seriously:

	What I would suggest that you do is get a couple of Cabletron ST-500s
with the thintap, a pair of T connectors and barrels and a thin cable patch
cord.

	Plug these together and install in a Bud box with only the AUI connectors
sticking out.  Put a big label on the Bud box that reads "Ethernet Null
Modem". :-)

	If you ever decide to redo your net, you can open up the Bud box and
reuse the ST-500s.  Very cost effective, if you already buy lots of ST-500s
or have a bunch lying around that you swapped out for 10BaseT.

	If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing to look up an
appropriate sized box, and maybe come up with a template for cutting out
the AUI connector holes.  A LaserWriter makes dandy big-lettered labels. :-)

	It is sheer coincidence that one can make an RS-232 null modem work
in most cases.  If more vendors implemented more RS-232 signals more
rigorously,
then RS-232 null modems wouldn't work either.  A null transceiver cable will
not work.  It seems silly to me to buy special two-port transceivers.  So I
really think the Bud box would be a good alternative.  Cabletron, you
listening?
:-)

	Kent England, Boston University

Disclaimer:  If in doubt, add your own smiley face.

dd@ariel.unm.edu (Don Doerner) (07/27/90)

In article <61243@bu.edu.bu.edu> kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
>> Deos anyone know how to "null-modem" a pair of machines together using the 15
>> conductor standard? I only need to go a couple feet.
>
>	I think this question deserves the status of true LAN legend, like
>the urban legends and the net legend about the dying kid who wants postcards.
>It's a question that just will not die.  :-)  Well, I suppose it is reasonable
>on the surface of it.  Half-seriously:
>
>	What I would suggest that you do is get a couple of Cabletron ST-500s
>with the thintap, a pair of T connectors and barrels and a thin cable patch
>cord.

Or check into the Netcor ANC-10.  This is just what you are asking
for.  Should cost less than $200.

Don Doerner, Manager, Communications and Networking
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM, 87131
505/277-8036
Don Doerner                                         dd@ariel.unm.edu
2701 Campus Blvd. NE                                   (505)277-8036
Albuquerque, NM, 87131