[comp.dcom.lans] Need source for broadband modem and data link bridge

ericd@ms.uky.edu (Eric B. Durbin) (07/25/90)

We're in need of vendors for a broadband modem and a data link bridge to
attach our ethernet to an Ungerman Bass broadband.

Any names, numbers, addresses, and/or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
[]  Eric B. Durbin  (606) 257-4581      []                 ericd@ms.uky.edu  []
[]  University of Kentucky              []                ericd@UKMA.BITNET  []

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (07/25/90)

Ungermann-Bass broadband systems are proprietary and require
U-B gear.  I like the Buffered Repeater myself.

See also "Tandem Computer".  :-)

	--Kent

AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) (07/26/90)

> Ungermann-Bass broadband systems are proprietary and require
> U-B gear.  ....

You'll have to get the broadband modem from UB, but the data link bridge
can be from anybody.  UB calls them data link bridges because so many vendors
(including UB in the past) sell "bridges" that are really routers.  Any
protocol-independent bridge will work.  The broadband modem will give you
a 15-pin AUI connector, which you can hook up to most vendors' equipment.

- Alan Millar      AMillar@cup.portal.com

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (07/27/90)

In article <32106@cup.portal.com>, AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI
Millar) writes:
> > Ungermann-Bass broadband systems are proprietary and require
> > U-B gear.  ....
>
> You'll have to get the broadband modem from UB, but the data link bridge
> can be from anybody.  UB calls them data link bridges because so many vendors
> (including UB in the past) sell "bridges" that are really routers.  Any
> protocol-independent bridge will work.  The broadband modem will give you
> a 15-pin AUI connector, which you can hook up to most vendors' equipment.
>
> - Alan Millar      AMillar@cup.portal.com

	Terminology clash here.  "Broadband modems" don't have AUI interfaces.
If you want a bridge from someone else, you will have to use a U-B Buffered
Repeater (which includes the broadband interface) to attach it to the CATV
system.  Ethernet signals are not bit-repeated onto the broadband.  The
signalling is different and the bit rate is halved.  U-B uses a different
scheme than IEEE-spec broadband Enet.  I think some of those vendors call their
gear "modems".  You can use a simple single channel translator with a U-B
Buffered Repeater, most commonly on mid-split 4A/R channels.

	U-B bridges are bridges.  They never did deliver a marketable router
for IP.  They did a router for their XNS, as I recall, but they never really
got the hang of TCP/IP.

	--Kent

dd@ariel.unm.edu (Don Doerner) (07/27/90)

In article <61315@bu.edu.bu.edu> kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
>Ungermann-Bass broadband systems are proprietary and require
>U-B gear.  I like the Buffered Repeater myself.

I will sure second that one!

>See also "Tandem Computer".  :-)
Don Doerner                                         dd@ariel.unm.edu
2701 Campus Blvd. NE                                   (505)277-8036
Albuquerque, NM, 87131