[comp.dcom.lans] Software using RFS

steve@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Steve Engelhardt) (07/27/90)

Since many SYSVr3 Systems include RFS and the new Sun OS has RFS
builtin, Does anyone know of PC products that may be able
to use RFS?  Maybe AT&T can come out with PC-RFS.

--
Steven Engelhardt    NCR Comten          steve.engelhardt@stpaul.ncr.com
Development Computer Center, MS: S015 ..uunet!ncrlnk!ncrstp!ncrcce!steve

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (07/27/90)

In article <147@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> steve@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Steve Engelhardt) writes:
>Since many SYSVr3 Systems include RFS and the new Sun OS has RFS
>builtin, Does anyone know of PC products that may be able
>to use RFS?  Maybe AT&T can come out with PC-RFS.

It was my understanding that RFS was very dependent on Unix filesystem
semantics, and given that, it would be real hard to do a PC version.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "How do you know when a politician is lying?  His lips move."
	- M-m-max Headroom
       "Read my lips - no new taxes..."  - G. Bush, 1988

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (07/27/90)

In article <147@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> steve@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Steve Engelhardt) writes:
>Since many SYSVr3 Systems include RFS and the new Sun OS has RFS
>builtin, Does anyone know of PC products that may be able
>to use RFS?  Maybe AT&T can come out with PC-RFS.

It would get REAL interesting when the receptionist turned her PC OFF :-)

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

In article <147@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> steve@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Steve Engelhardt) writes:

>Since many SYSVr3 Systems include RFS and the new Sun OS has RFS
>builtin, Does anyone know of PC products that may be able
>to use RFS?  Maybe AT&T can come out with PC-RFS.

AT&T does have something called the Starlan DOS Server, which presents
something that looks like a netbios/redirector interface to connect
PC's to their unix machines.  It doesn't use RFS directly but you can
RFS-mount remote machines directories underneath the directory that the
PC links as a DOS drive and it will work fine.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (07/29/90)

In article <1990Jul27.203222.17530@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <147@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> steve@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Steve Engelhardt) writes:
>
>>Since many SYSVr3 Systems include RFS and the new Sun OS has RFS
>>builtin, Does anyone know of PC products that may be able
>>to use RFS?  Maybe AT&T can come out with PC-RFS.
>
>AT&T does have something called the Starlan DOS Server, which presents
>something that looks like a netbios/redirector interface to connect
>PC's to their unix machines.  It doesn't use RFS directly but you can
>RFS-mount remote machines directories underneath the directory that the
>PC links as a DOS drive and it will work fine.

AT&T no longer markets a LAN server (StarGROUP) that runs on MSDOS. They
do market Lan Manager/X (Microsoft Lan Manager running on Unix) called
StarGROUP V3.3. The first four layers are ISO.

You should be able to RFS mount remote file systems out the back of a
StarGROUP server (and that goes for NFS too, AT&T supports both Lachman's
and Wollongong's NFS for SysV/386). I've never done it, I'd sure like to
hear from anyone who has (good, bad and the ugly).