[comp.dcom.lans] 10BasetT Test Methods

pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) (08/01/90)

(This is a repost from Friday July 27, 1990.)

Hello out there in net-land.

I'm researching what methods are used in the real world for testing twisted pair
10baseT cable. I'll be writing an article and posting it to the net with the
results. Please respond via EMAIL or FAX so we don't clutter the net.

NEW INSTALLATIONS:
1.	How is the cable selected for your installations?
2.	What parameters influence your selection?
3.	What influences your selection of cable vendor.
4.	What (if any) pre-installation tests are performed on the upon
        arrival?
5.	How do you determine the actual length of your cable runs?
6.	What "shared services" (RS232, voice, etc.) share the sheath with your
        10BaseT cable?
7.	Are you using any of the following:
		- patch panels
		- 66 blocks
		- RJ45-to-RJ11 adapters
		- splitters
	If so, which manufacturer and model number have you found to give the
	best and worst performance?
8.	Who performs the actual cable installation?
9.	If contractors install the cable, what influenced you to choose that
	specific contractor?
10.	How did you choose the cable route from the workstation to the 10BaseT	        hub?

EXISTING INSTALLATIONS:
1.	How did you verify your existing cable was 10BaseT compatible?
2.	Did you have to run new cable?
3.	What admininstrata is required for running new cable in a large
	office building?
4.	What changes, if any, were required to utilize your existing cable?

ALL INSTALLATIONS:
1.	What devices are used if your cable length is longer than the 100m
	max to extend the distance?
2.	What test instruments and tools do you use to troubleshoot your
	10BaseT cable plant and network?
3.	Who do you turn to for 10BaseT technical support?
4.	How would you rate that support: 1-5 with 1=lousy & 5=Excellent
5.	Do you have a service contract with a vendor or third party service
	provider? Who are they?
6.	What size network do you have?
7.	What size staff supports your network?
8.	Why did you install 10BaseT instead of coax or a proprietary LAN?
9.	Has 10BaseT lived up to your expectations?
10.	What will you do different the next time you install 10BaseT?
11.	Do you have any advise for those planning to Install 10BaseT in the
	future?

Thanks for your valuable experience and input!

Paul Caloca			| "Minds are like parachutes -
Customer Support		|  they ony function when open."
SynOptics Communications	|
Mountain View, CA		|==================== Thomas Dewar
Email:  pcaloca@synoptics.com	UUCP: ...!ames.arc.nasa.gov!synoptics.com
FAX: 415-967-8710

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (08/01/90)

In article <21780@mvis1.com> pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) writes:

>I'm researching what methods are used in the real world for testing twisted
>pair 10baseT cable. I'll be writing an article and posting it to the net with
>the results. Please respond via EMAIL or FAX so we don't clutter the net.
>
>NEW INSTALLATIONS:
>2.	What parameters influence your selection?

[stuff' deleted]

>	If so, which manufacturer and model number have you found to give the
>	best and worst performance?
>	10BaseT cable plant and network?

 [more stuff deleted]

>3.	Who do you turn to for 10BaseT technical support?
>4.	How would you rate that support: 1-5 with 1=lousy & 5=Excellent
>5.	Do you have a service contract with a vendor or third party service
>	provider? Who are they?
>8.	Why did you install 10BaseT instead of coax or a proprietary LAN?
>9.	Has 10BaseT lived up to your expectations?
>10.	What will you do different the next time you install 10BaseT?

>Paul Caloca			| "Minds are like parachutes -
>SynOptics Communications	|

I didn't know that the net was a place for manufacturers to solicite leads.
It's hard to believe that an unpartial, unbiased report is the reason behind
this posting.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden