[comp.dcom.lans] LM/X

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (08/03/90)

Quoth ittai@rnd.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (in <4424@rnd.GBA.NYU.EDU>):
#Another possible future product for Sparcs is LM/X (Microsoft
#LanManager running under Unix).  HP did the first implementation, and
#the OSF has announced HP LM/X as part of its DCE (Distributed
#Computing Environment) Offering.  Sun is unlikely to offer the OSF DCE
#(unfortunately!), but I'm sure others will port it and make it
#available.

Probably. Note also that OSF endorsed PC-NFS as part of the DCE.
[...]
#A footnote: LanMan does not specify a transport, as I understand it,
#and so you could have (and in fact 3com has announced product) TCP/IP
#as the transport between LanMan client and LanMan server.  This is
#good because the client PC can then run one protocol stack and get
#PC Networking (i.e. LanMan), FTP, Telnet, et al.  Which is precisely
#what I would like to have.

This is indeed one of the profiles defined by the X/Open PC Interworking
Group. However, you should be aware that running LM/X over the Internet
Protocol Suite (what X/Open calls "IPS") involves running the
RFC1001/1002 NETBIOS-over-TCP stack, which is large and (since most people
have only implemented "B" mode) restricted to broadcastable nets
(bridges OK, routers generally not). I suspect that most LM/Xs will
run NETBIOS-over-ISO: I think that's AT&Ts preferred stack.

Geoff

PS    Of course, X/Open also blessed what they called "(PC)NFS" for
      PC-to-Unix connectivity, and you can do all that today without
      waiting for LM/X or portable NetWare.

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
** Back in the USA after a month in England. Most memorable scene: visiting **
** the "Duke Humfrey" library (part of the Bodleian in Oxford): wonderful   **
** 15th century ceiling, incanabulae and desks, the latter with PCs on...   **

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (08/03/90)

In article <2329@east.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>I suspect that most LM/Xs will run NETBIOS-over-ISO: I think that's AT&Ts
>preferred stack.

Yes, AT&T is LM/X over OSI (first four layers). Running a dual LM/TCP-IP stack
via NDIS on the client takes care of the IP connection.

Running LM/X and TCP-IP on the server takes care of the other end.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (08/04/90)

Word from microsoft is that LM/X has had to be renamed to LM/Unix because of a
prior trademark on the /X portion.  Sounded strange but possible.

hl.rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (HL Rogers) (08/05/90)

In article <jbldbr5ms@tmsoft.uucp> mshiels@tmsoft.UUCP (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
>Word from microsoft is that LM/X has had to be renamed to LM/Unix because of a
>prior trademark on the /X portion.  Sounded strange but possible.

The word we got was that a French company has trademarked the
acronym LM/X for an unrelated product, and that Microsoft advises
use of the term Lan Manager/X.
--
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)
Me?  Speak for my company??  HA!