[comp.dcom.lans] Need Reference for AS/400 to Token Ring Connect

richard.burry@f415.n259.z1.fidonet.org (richard burry) (08/05/90)

 I need to hook up 2 token ring lans with connections both local and remote
into our AS/400. As far as I know there are only 2 ways in which I can do
this and run pc-support at my remote site. The first is a remote bridge
between the 2 lans and then in thru the AS/400's token ring card. Great idea
but it uses a lot of memory on the nodes, and I cannot use Proteon cards
(they say they have a software patch, I'm hesitant but I'd rather buy Proteon
because of the superiour network management tools). I can also buy an Eichon
AS/400 router and come in thru the SDLC port on the 400. With this method I
am slowed to the comm speed at the remote site, also whenever Ibm changes
their os/400 I may get burnt with a router that doesn't work.

So has anyone done either of these? Do you run pc-support at your remote
site? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of the method that you
selected?

Thanks
RB

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.00
 * Origin: The Homestead * TORONTO, ONT * (416) 272-4067 * (1:259/415)