[comp.dcom.lans] Help!

jeffl@jack.UUCP (02/25/87)

I hope that some nice person out there in net-land will be able to help
me.

I have many IBM {PC/XT/AT}'s hooked into an Arete 1600 using ethernet.
I also have a 3b15 setting off to the side because my AT&T rep says
that there is no such beast as ethernet for the 3b15.  However he does
say it will be available in the fall of '87, and that tcp/ip will be
available in the spring of '88.  Is this true, or is it just that he is
as well informed as the rest of the people at AT&T (:-).
| Everything should be made as simple || Jeff Lawhorn                        |
|   as possible, but no simpler.      || {sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!jeffl          |

philip@axis.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <131@jack.UUCP>, jeffl@jack.UUCP writes:
> I have many IBM {PC/XT/AT}'s hooked into an Arete 1600 using ethernet.
> I also have a 3b15 setting off to the side because my AT&T rep says
> that there is no such beast as ethernet for the 3b15.  However he does
> say it will be available in the fall of '87, and that tcp/ip will be
> available in the spring of '88.  Is this true, or is it just that he is
> as well informed as the rest of the people at AT&T (:-).

The last information I had from AT&T was that they would only support
STARLAN. All other streams modules were to be left (as an exersise for the
interested reader :-) to external companies to provide.

Wollongong are currently working on ethernet/tcp/ip streams modules for
S5.3. I would suggest that you contact them to get a more precise delay.
You would probably find it cheaper to buy directly from them, than
go through your local AT&T dealer too.

Philip

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (03/22/87)

In article <131@jack.UUCP>, jeffl@jack.UUCP writes:
> I have many IBM {PC/XT/AT}'s hooked into an Arete 1600 using ethernet.
> I also have a 3b15 setting off to the side because my AT&T rep says
> that there is no such beast as ethernet for the 3b15.  However he does
> say it will be available in the fall of '87, and that tcp/ip will be
> available in the spring of '88.  Is this true, or is it just that he is
> as well informed as the rest of the people at AT&T (:-).

Your rep was somewhat mis-informed. Ethernets have always been available
for the 3B15. The TCP/IP Wollongong release for SVR2.1 is currently in the
field, you may contact me directly if you do not get a response about
this. With the release of SVR3.1 there will be streams based TCP/IP for
the 15. I can't comment on the availability timeframe for that release.

   Steve Blasingame (AT&T Oklahoma City)
   bsteve@gorgo.att.com
   ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!bsteve

larry@lowen.UUCP (Larry Taborek) (05/11/88)

I am looking for a 11 inch IBM PC compatable IBM token ring card.  I
have seen various other cards on the market, but they are all 13
inches long, and thats too long for our PC's.  Any information on any
vendor would be greatly appreciated.  (Intelligent cards would be
preferred).

larryt

a1040@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Broughton) (08/11/90)

I'm working with a Novell Netware/286 network using Puredata ARCNet
cards (16 bit on the server, 8 bit on the workstations). It was
installed two months ago. It worked fine for the first month, but has
been plagued with glitches since; Corrupted records, corrupted FoxBase
indexes, "Internal Consistency Error" reported by FoxBase when
re-indexing or sorting.

There is one specific symptom that I want to ask about; If you run
FCONSOLE, and display the statistics summary, the value shown for
maximum "routing buffers" is 100 (We've also used values of 40 and 150).
In the second column, peak routing buffers used this session, the figure
will be 65,535(!). The third column is also bizarre. When the system is
brought up, the routing buffers currently in use will be slightly under
65,535, and will decrease at the rate of about 5 per second if there is
light activity on the system, or about 200 per second if there is heavy
activity on the system. When this figure gets down to zero, it will wrap
around to 65,535, and continue to drop. This will continue until the
server is brought down.

Has anyone out there seen this phenomenon? I've talked to several local
experts, and one in Provo, Utah, and none of them have seen it. One
other thing: This is version 2.15 C of Netware/286.

Robert Broughton  -  a1040@mindlink.uucp
                -or- a1040%mindlink@wimsey.bc.ca

cintra4@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Lange) (08/13/90)

Before you trust numbers from FConsole, you might want to try a different node.
We have seen cases where one workstation came up with a different date and
time for each screen in FConsole. Another workstation will not update displayed
statistics. In both cases, other workstations in the room didn't have these
problems.

Dave Lange cintra4@u.washington.edu (206) 685-7239