[comp.dcom.lans] Connecting two LANs using a 1 Mbps line

petr@imtws3.im.se (Peter T|rnqvist IMT) (08/16/90)

The company I work for has just installed brand new PABXs
in two of the main locations here in Sweden. We have a leased
2 Mbps link between the PABXs that gives us almost 30 simultaneous
voice connections. We don't need all that capacity for voice;
we would like to use about half of it for voice and the rest for data.
So we told the telephone company about it and they came up with
a $7-80.000 multiplexor solution that compressed voice and
could give us a lot of synchronous lines. However, we just
wanted to steal 15 time slots from the PABXs and use them
for data.

Finally, I asked Motorola/Codex and they have also
multiplexors but they have no direct G.703/G.704 connection
to a PABX. Instead they have a $5000 thing called Integrator that
has one G.703/G.704 interface to the line and one to the PABX (or mux),
and one V.35 interface to the computer equipment that you want
to connect. (The Integrator is not a Motorola/Codex product;
it is made by an Australian company called Sitek (I think)).

After a lot of fighting with the telephone company
(they first told us that this was impossible)
we will try the Integrator and probably the bridge/router
ACS 4100 from ACC.

So...

1) Anyone with experience of the "Integrator" or
something with similar functionality?

2) Anyone with experience of the ACS 4100 from ACC?
Or other ACC products? Is it fast enough for
a 1 Mbps line when routing TCP/IP?
Does it deserve to be called a "router?

3) A Vitalink costs about twice as much. Is it worth it?

4) I just heard of a box from WellFleet that combined
the functions of an Integrator, Router and Bridge and
also compressed voice but unfortunately I don't think
it was (yet) certified for use here in Sweden and it
was a lot more expensive than an Integrator and a router/bridge.
What about Cisco, do they have something like this?

Peter Tornqvist
Industri-Matematik Teknik AB
+46 31 290250
petr@im.se

jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Jim Breen) (08/17/90)

In article <969@imtws3.im.se>, petr@imtws3.im.se (Peter T|rnqvist IMT) writes:

> .......... Instead they have a $5000 thing called Integrator that
> has one G.703/G.704 interface to the line and one to the PABX (or mux),
> and one V.35 interface to the computer equipment that you want
> to connect. (The Integrator is not a Motorola/Codex product;
> it is made by an Australian company called Sitek (I think)).
>
> After a lot of fighting with the telephone company
> (they first told us that this was impossible)
> we will try the Integrator and probably the bridge/router
> ACS 4100 from ACC.
>
> So...
>
> 1) Anyone with experience of the "Integrator" or
> something with similar functionality?

Sure have. We (Monash) have four of them as we do exactly the
same as you propose on our two intercampus 2Mbps links. We pull
out 768k for the cisco-cisco links and leave the rest for voice,
etc. They have worked faultlessly from day one.

> 4) I just heard of a box from WellFleet that combined
> the functions of an Integrator, Router and Bridge and
> also compressed voice but unfortunately I don't think
> it was (yet) certified for use here in Sweden and it
> was a lot more expensive than an Integrator and a router/bridge.

We heard of this too, however:

(a) it was T1 only, not G.703.
(b) it had not yet got certification for PABX attachment (a
lengthy and tricky process here.

> What about Cisco, do they have something like this?
 Haven't heard of anything.

BTW, the Integrator (the company is Scitec) can operate on 48V
DC, and thus sit in the PABX's power float.

--
   _______            Jim Breen ($B%8%`(J) (jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au) Dept of
  /o\----\\     \O             Robotics & Digital Technology. Monash University