[net.unix-wizards] Strange behavior at boot time from swapon...

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (07/09/85)

When we call swapon from the /etc/rc script we get the following
messages...

Adding /dev/rra0b as swap device
No such device: \c

Now what is this refering to?  Certainly the 'b' partition is a
valid swap area?  Anyone come up with anything similar?
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"Mr. Fusion"

louie@umd5.UUCP (07/10/85)

In article <1036@trwatf.UUCP> root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:

>When we call swapon from the /etc/rc script we get the following
>messages...
>
>Adding /dev/rra0b as swap device
>No such device: \c

Funny; we get just the same message on our VAX 11/750 running ULTRIX 1.0.  I
thought that there was a garbage character in /etc/rc, but was never able to
find one.  I guess we'll see if ULTRIX 1.1 does this too.
--
Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
 Internet: louie@umd5.arpa

Um, er, are you SURE you want to add rra0b as a swap device? :-)
(Swapon wants a block device.)

I think the error message is just wrong (due to a combination
of bugs somewhere).
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/10/85)

Swapon wants/needs block devices for arguments.  (IE, Don't use the
raw device.)  The "funny" error message is due to a missing argument
in a printf.  (Something bad like "printf (%s  : %s\n", arg1);")

Also, if the device is currently being used for swapping, you get the
same error message.

-Fred

aps@decwrl.UUCP (Armando P. Stettner) (07/11/85)

It has been my experience that the messages
	Adding /dev/rra0b as swap device
	No such device: \c
Usually comes from an improperly declared device for the
swap devices in the configuration files.  (The first message
comes from the swapon command...)
	aps.

cspencer@bbnccv.UUCP (Cliff Spencer) (07/11/85)

> Adding /dev/rra0b as swap device
> No such device: \c
>> Um, er, are you SURE you want to add rra0b as a swap device? :-)
>> (Swapon wants a block device.)

I think that a "no such device" is more probably caused by
a missing swap specification in the kernel config file.
You might want to add
config vmunix blah blah blah swap on blah and ra0
					  ^^^^^^^
					-cliff

eric@amc.UUCP (Eric McRae) (07/12/85)

[go ahead..do it]

> Adding /dev/rra0b as swap device
> No such device: \c

With 4.2 on an 11/750, you (read I) can only swap on filesystems on
the boot controller.  I remember something like this when I switched
the root filesystem to a new controller.  I didn't change fstab except
for the / entry.

doss@diku.UUCP (Dennis Olsson) (07/22/85)

In article <117@amc.UUCP> eric@amc.UUCP (Eric McRae) writes:
>> Adding /dev/rra0b as swap device
>> No such device: \c

This is due to a little code error (bug?) in /usr/src/etc/swapon.c
(see the report in net.bugs.4bsd)

>With 4.2 on an 11/750, you (read I) can only swap on filesystems on
>the boot controller.  I remember something like this when I switched
>the root filesystem to a new controller.  I didn't change fstab except
>for the / entry.

Well, read fstab(5), and you'll notice, that you also have to enter
the names of your other swap devices, not only the root file system;
that's just another logical filesystem.
You will always have at least *one* swap device, due to configuration
of your kernel (look through your config file(s)).  And *this* swap
cannot be added, since it is already added as a swap device.
Therefore, if you try to add /dev/rra0b as a swap device, *and*
your config file(s) has the line:
	config vmunix root on ra0a swap on ra0b
/etc/swapon will say: No such device: /dev/ra0b.
(or - at least - should say so! and will after the bug-eater)
---------
Snail: Dennis Olsson, DIKU, Sigurdsgade 41, DK-2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark.
 UUCP: ..mcvax!diku!doss                           +45 1 83 62 57 ext. 13.