[comp.dcom.lans] Novell Error Message

conway@wam.umd.edu (Thomas F. Conway) (08/15/90)

Greetings.  I have a problem, and do not know where else to turn.  This is
what I am currently doing: I am installing (attempting to install) Novell
Advanced Netware 286 v 2.15 Rev A. on an IBM 8570-121 Non-dedicated
File Server.  The networking hardware is IBM Token-Ring.(The joy of
exclusive contracts in state government!)  After configuring the server and
attempting to boot up, I get the following error message:

Error initializing LAN Driver: Time out error waiting for SSB Free during init

The manual that covers error messages seems to have forgotten about this
one, and the vendor doesn't have tech support fot his, and Novell Tech
support is expensive--HELP!!!  What does this message mean?  The hardware
all checked out OK during diagnostics, and the 8570 was configured
properly using the reference diskette.  Does anyone have any idea what is
happening?  If so, please let me know.  Any ideas or information would be
GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Tom Conway, State of Maryland Dept. of Economic and Employment Development
Office of Information Processing.

Please submit responses directly to: conway@wam.umd.edu.ARPA, or through
this newsgroup.

sec@cs.umn.edu (Stephen E. Collins) (08/16/90)

conway@wam.umd.edu (Thomas F. Conway) writes:

>Error initializing LAN Driver: Time out error waiting for SSB Free during init

>The manual that covers error messages seems to have forgotten about this
>one, and the vendor doesn't have tech support fot his, and Novell Tech
>support is expensive--HELP!!!  What does this message mean?  The hardware
>all checked out OK during diagnostics, and the 8570 was configured
>properly using the reference diskette.

The problem is with the configuration of your token ring card, not with
the rest of your hardware.  Although I've never seen that error message
before, I would suggest double checking your choice of the LAN driver
when you installed Netware: Do you have have 4MB or 16MB Token ring
card?  Did you pick a 4MB or 16MB Token ring driver?  Try swapping
the token ring adapter in your server.  Make sure your connection to
the token ring network is ok.  Check the MAU you are connected to.

If none of that works, give the CPU a good swift kick, quit your job,
join the army, and go fight in Iraq--see, things could be worse!

> conway@wam.umd.edu
And here I thought UMD was University of Minnesota, Duluth!

Stephen E. Collins
University of Minnesota Microcomputer & Workstation Networks Center
sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu

louie@rruxi.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (08/16/90)

conway@wam.umd.edu (Thomas F. Conway) asked:

>Greetings.  I have a problem, and do not know where else to turn.  This is
>what I am currently doing: I am installing (attempting to install) Novell
>Advanced Netware 286 v 2.15 Rev A. on an IBM 8570-121 Non-dedicated
>File Server.  The networking hardware is IBM Token-Ring.(The joy of
>exclusive contracts in state government!)  After configuring the server and
>attempting to boot up, I get the following error message:
>
>Error initializing LAN Driver: Time out error waiting for SSB Free during init
>
>The manual that covers error messages seems to have forgotten about this
>one, and the vendor doesn't have tech support fot his, and Novell Tech
>support is expensive--HELP!!!  What does this message mean?  The hardware
>all checked out OK during diagnostics, and the 8570 was configured
>properly using the reference diskette.  Does anyone have any idea what is
>happening?  If so, please let me know.  Any ideas or information would be
>GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

The IBM PC-TRN card comes with a diskette with two drivers.  These two drivers
is responsible for the actual (physical) communication and error handling
on the network.  The Netware IPX interface does not handle these functions as
it does on Ethernet or Arcnet network.  To solve your problem (assumming that
you are not running a non-dedicated server.  If yes, then you can do the
following in you DOS partition), you need to boot from a diskette.  Specify
these drivers in CONFIG.SYS (i.e.- device=xxxxxx.sys).  Create an AUTOEXEC.BAT
that have the line NET$OS.EXE to start the server.  Don't forget to have
NET$OS.EX1, NET$OS.EX2, and the drivers on the same diskette.

If the above procedures wouldn't solve your problem, then you must have
specify wrong LAN DRIVER information during NETGEN.

mckimg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Geoffrey McKim) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug15.153002.7995@wam.umd.edu> conway@wam.umd.edu (Tom Conway) writes:

>I get the following error message:
>
>Error initializing LAN Driver: Time out error waiting for SSB Free during init

We got this exact error message when setting up a Novell Token Ring LAN
(Adv. Netware, 2.15C), and the problem was (a human error) that we had
configured the Token Ring driver in Netware to use a different IRQ level
than the Token Ring board was really set at.  When we DCONFIGed with a
proper IRQ level, we didn't get the error message and everything worked
beautifully.

Geoffrey W. McKim			Internet: mckimg@ucs.indiana.edu
UCS Networks/LAN Group			BITNET: mckimg@iuamber
Indiana University Bloomington		"These are my opinions only.  Nobody
(812) 855-4643				 else wants them."