[comp.dcom.lans] AT&T PC-based STARlan - request for help, information

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (08/14/90)

I have very recently been given the task of installing an AT&T STARlan
on PCs.  We have 30 3- or 4-year-old unused STARlan boards and software
given to us free, but no documentation other than the User Guides which
deal almost exclusively with software.  I must install this LAN ASAP
but have no idea of what is allowed in terms of connections via
daisy-chain or Network Extension Unit, or what maximum lengths for
cable types are.  Two flat 8 conductor cables with RJ?? ends
were included, and with them I have set up a small network to test
the hardware and software with.

Can somebody please respond to me via email with any information
that will help me
1) Find out who to talk to at AT&T about this stuff
2) figure out what the network topology is
3) where I can get current software

Thanks for any help.

Please email to dsuvax!ghelmer@cs.utexas.edu; that address seems to have the
best chance of working.

--
Guy Helmer
work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315

njc@rick.att.com (Neil Cherry) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug13.215541.18659@dsuvax.uucp> ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>Can somebody please respond to me via email with any information
>that will help me
>1) Find out who to talk to at AT&T about this stuff
Call 1-800-923-0394 CTCS (Used to be NSSC) And punch in for StarGROUP LAN.
But be fore warned you may get charged ($150 per hour) if its not under warranty
and if you don't have the manuals and we have to walk you through an install.

NJC StarGROUP Engineer.

dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) (08/25/90)

In article <277@rick.att.com>, njc@rick.att.com (Neil Cherry) writes:
> In article <1990Aug13.215541.18659@dsuvax.uucp> ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
> >Can somebody please respond to me via email with any information
> >that will help me
> >1) Find out who to talk to at AT&T about this stuff
> Call 1-800-923-0394 CTCS (Used to be NSSC) And punch in for StarGROUP LAN.

The correct phone number for the AT&T NSSC or CTCS is:

       1-800-922-0354

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave