[comp.dcom.lans] ethernet type I and II

stewartc@amc-gw.amc.com (Stewart Castaldi) (08/23/90)

Last year there was a good discussion about the electrical differences between
type I and II ethernet transceivers and tranceiver cables.  If anyone
saved those articles I would appreciate a copy.  I would also appreciate
pointers to any books or documentation that would show these differences.
A practical guide to ethernet installation and troubleshooting.
--
Stewart Castaldi                          DNS: stewartc@amc.com
Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc-gw!stewartc

pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) (08/24/90)

From postnews Thu Aug 23 16:04:40 1990

In article <2800@amc-gw.amc.com>, stewartc@amc-gw.amc.com (Stewart Castaldi) writes:
> saved those articles I would appreciate a copy.  I would also appreciate
> pointers to any books or documentation that would show these differences.
> A practical guide to ethernet installation and troubleshooting.
> --
> Stewart Castaldi                          DNS: stewartc@amc.com
> Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc-gw!stewartc
> Redmond, Washington  98073               Dial: (206) 882-2000

Three books which I have found to be very valuble are:

KEEPING THE LINK by Martin Nemzow
Ethernet Installation & Management
McGraw-Hill 1988
ISBN 0-07-046302-6

LAN TROUBLESHOOTING HANDBOOK by Mark A. Miller
M & T Books 1989
ISBN 1-55851-054-0

DEISIGNING AND IMPLEMENTING
ETHERNET NETWORKS by Bill Hancock
QED Information Sciences
ISBN 0-89435-366-7

Paul Caloca			| "Minds are like parachutes -
Technical Support		|  they ony function when open."
SynOptics Communications	|
Mountain View, CA		|==================== Thomas Dewar
Email:  Paul_Caloca.SALES@engtwomac.synoptics.com
UUCP: ...!ames.arc.nasa.gov!synoptics.com!engtwomac!Paul_Caloca.SALES
FAX: 415-967-8710

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (08/24/90)

As an 'along with' the request for the details of Type I and II, I
really want to know what the guts of a 'thin-net' terminator are.

My first guess is an R/C shunt at some frequency, but some real details
would help.

- Jon

--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your lupins or your life!"

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (08/26/90)

In article <593@eds1.UUCP> jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:
>I really want to know what the guts of a 'thin-net' terminator are.

A 1/2 or 1/4 watt 50 ohm non-inductive resistor.

louie

peiffer@cs.umn.edu (Tim Peiffer (The Net Guy)) (08/26/90)

>>I really want to know what the guts of a 'thin-net' terminator are.

	A theoretical or ideal thin-net transmission line has a
	characteristic impedence of 50 ohms at all frequencies.  It also
	has infinite length.  In order to make a real line look ideal,
	it is terminated at the end with a resistor, preferably carbon
	film or carbon composition.

	Any other form such as wire wound types would have varying
	impedance across the frequency spectrum.

	Since the characteristic impedance of 'thick' ethernet is the same,
	the internals are roughly the same.

Tim Peiffer
--
Tim Peiffer				peiffer@cs.umn.edu 	or