[comp.dcom.lans] More dope on the EtherSwitch

leonard@arizona.edu (08/31/90)

In article <63454@bu.edu.bu.edu>, kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
> In article <1990Aug27.143144.62@arizona.edu> leonard@arizona.edu writes:
>>
>>The question is, what exactly does this Kalpana EtherSwitch thingy do
>>when the segment it wants to transmit onto has a collision in effect?
>>
>>I think the answer is that it buffers.  I got some literature from
>>Kalpana and it says that there is a 256-packet buffer per Ethernet
>>interface.
>
> 	I think you're right, but that sounds like a lot of buffer.
> The Kalpana has to have very fast table lookup for forwarding.
> Perhaps the 256 refers to the size of the MAC address table per
> interface?  At any rate, I would be interested to know how big the MAC
> address table is, per interface, since that would affect where these
> things could be used.  I can't imagine that Kalpana could accept
> arbitrary topologies with thousands of potential MAC addresses on some
> interfaces and still maintain claimed forwarding rates.

OK, well let's back up a moment and refresh everybody on what this
Kalpana EtherSwitch ("EPS-700") is supposed to be.

It claims to be a switch that connects multiple Ethernets with
an aggregate inter-Ethernet bandwidth of (n/2)*10Mb, where n is
the number of Ethernets, up to a total bandwidth of 30Mb.  (It
can support up to 7 Ethernets.)

Rather than storing and forwarding frames, it repeats them with minimal
propagation delay onto the target segment, creating a virtual circuit
that joins the communicating segments thru the "cross-point
switch matrix".

Here's a picture of what a 4-Ethernet EtherSwitch would look like.
Such a box would supposedly have an aggregate thruput of 20Mb/sec.

                        ----------------
  AUI cable --- [epp] --| "cross-point |-- [epp] --- AUI cable
                        | switch       |
  AUI cable --- [epp] --| matrix"      |-- [epp] --- AUI cable
                        ----------------

                        [ system module ]

("epp" stands for "Ethernet Packet Processor".)

Here is what Kalpana claims from its literature:

100% filtering rate (15000 packets/sec.)
100% forwarding rate (15000 packets/sec.)
Per-packet delay thru the switch: 40 microsec.
Size of MAC address table per epp: 1750 addresses.
Buffering per epp: 256 full-size packets.

All for a list price of $9995 for a fully configured (7-ethernet) box.

So the answer to Kent is: no, the Kalpana does not support "arbitrary
topologies" the way a DEC LANbridge 200 does (which can handle 16,000
MAC addresses.)  But it does claim full wire speed forwarding with 1750
addresses on a segment

So the initial question stands: has anyone seen one of these?  Does it
live up to its billing?

Aaron