[comp.dcom.lans] PC/AT Ethernet interfaces w 10BaseT transceiver built in?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I didn't expect to have
anything to do with 10BaseT (twisted-pair Ethernet) until very recently...
Are there any PC and/or AT Ethernet interfaces which have a 10BaseT
transceiver built in?  Note, not a normal Ethernet transceiver, but
a 10BaseT twisted-pair transceiver.
--
Committees do harm merely by existing. | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                       -Freeman Dyson  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (08/28/90)

> Are there any PC and/or AT Ethernet interfaces which have a 10BaseT
> transceiver built in?

Quite a few.  I've been working with the 3Com and Cabletron ones
recently.  The 3Com card is called the 3C503-TP, and indeed software
written for the venerable thinnet-compatible 3C503 works with it just
fine (this includes at least 6 drivers I have tried, including the
Clarkson packet driver).  The Cabletron card that I have is for the AT
only, and is called the DNI E3010.  It comes with a packet-driver
driver (?) which works well.  It's worth noting that each card works
with the other manufacturer's 10Base-T repeater, too.

I'm sure there are many other manufacturers of similar cards.  Onward
to commodity pricing.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

In article <1990Aug27.173940.26482@portia.Stanford.EDU> morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:
>> Are there any PC and/or AT Ethernet interfaces which have a 10BaseT
>> transceiver built in?
>
>Quite a few...

Yes, this is also the story I've been getting by mail.  Thanks to everybody
who sent info; the basic conclusion is that although they may not yet be
as widely publicized as the older boards, boards with builtin 10BaseT are
available from almost everyone at prices comparable to non-10BaseT boards.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads tomorrow|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) (08/30/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Apologies if this has been discussed before, I didn't expect to have
>anything to do with 10BaseT (twisted-pair Ethernet) until very recently...
>Are there any PC and/or AT Ethernet interfaces which have a 10BaseT
>transceiver built in?  Note, not a normal Ethernet transceiver, but
>a 10BaseT twisted-pair transceiver.
>--
>Committees do harm merely by existing. | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>                       -Freeman Dyson  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

DEC offers a 10BaseT adapter card for PC's: the DEC EtherWORKS
Turbo/TP card, part number DE201-AA/CAG, list price $395 (DEC's
Personal Computing Integration Software & Hardware Catalog,
July-September 1990, pg 47)

I have no direct connection with Digital: just another happy user.
--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (08/30/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Apologies if this has been discussed before, I didn't expect to have
>anything to do with 10BaseT (twisted-pair Ethernet) until very recently...
>Are there any PC and/or AT Ethernet interfaces which have a 10BaseT
>transceiver built in?  Note, not a normal Ethernet transceiver, but
>a 10BaseT twisted-pair transceiver.

We have been buying the Western Digital 8-bit product, I've spaced
the model number, which has a 15-pin and an RJ45 on the back.
Seems to work fine.

-- Walt Haas    haas@ski.utah.edu

sblair@synoptics.com (Steven Blair) (08/30/90)

There are currently(to my memory) several vendors of 10BASET
boards. They are:

Western Digital
3Com
Tiara
Digital
Ungerman Bass

Since we're one of the founders of 10BaseT, we've had to test the
products. They all seemed to pass all tests with PC/NFS, Netware,
3+, PC/TCP software.

Note that our group is the networking group for SynOptics, and as
a result, is often asked to test these things before they're certified
" " for use with our products.

I speak neither for SynOptics, or myself. I've simply wanted to help
get folks onto what I feel is a much more flexible, and more
effecient networking strategy..

--
Steven C. Blair		Network Operations Center
SynOptics Communications Inc. Mountain View, California

cmilono@netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) (08/31/90)

Add to this list Hewlett-Packard, whose Ms. Thayer chairs the IEEE committee
and who, along with others *rejected* the first Synoptics proposal - note
that there is NO SUCH THING as a concentrator in the specs.  And don't forget
AT&T's StarLAN 10, which won the LAN Magazine Drag Race and subsequently the
Ethernet Product of 1989.

Historically, there have been roughly six major proposals for the standard:

AUI1	 H-P	      2-pair MAU-MAU with AUI Interface with MPR
AUI2     Synoptics    concentrator without retiming
Sync	 Chipcom      Synchronous Manchester coding
AUI/Coax 3COM/DEC     Pair-tamer extension of 10BASE2
Mod Man  David Sys    Asymmetric  MAU's different at each end
OQPK	 Rypinski     QPSK (quickly rejected)

Until recently, Synoptics and Cabletron both offered incompatible equipment
with any other vendor's - problems with Receive Equalization and voltage
levels with Synoptics (along with the use of concentrator technology) and
Idle Signal use, respectively.  I understand that they now support *true*
interoperable 10BASET products (incompatible with their previous line).

This is one of the problems of being 'first to market/first to buy'.

Also, be aware that FCC registration and actual FCC compliance of Rack
style MPR's are two different things - I sincerely doubt that any Rack
unit, although stickered and given an FCC number, would actually pass
the stringent tests in the real world.
|                   Carlo Milono                                           |
|    Personal:    netcom!cmilono@apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere |
| in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." B.Watterson |