[comp.dcom.lans] FDDI Hardware and TCP/IP Software

johnl@pico.oz (John Leiseboer) (08/30/90)

Can anyone help please?

I will shortly be evaluating FDDI interconnection over the QPSX MAN. We
will be using the Proteon p4200 as a TCP/IP gateway into the MAN. In order
to test end-to-end interoperability we need to connect host stations to
the FDDI which support TCP/IP.

In the interests of keeping costs as low as possible, my initial thought
is to use PC/AT compatibles with appropriate FDDI adaptors and TCP/IP
software (with the usual features: telnet, ftp, tftp, ping, mail,
etc.) as the hosts.

Can anyone recommend appropriate FDDI adaptors and TCP/IP software
please?

John Leiseboer
Manager, Applications Development
QPSX Communications
Perth, Western Australia			j.leiseboer@qpsx.oz.au

ohara@brahms.amd.com (Bob O'Hara) (08/30/90)

In article <520@pico.oz> johnl@pico.qpsx.oz (John Leiseboer) writes:
>Can anyone help please?
>
>I will shortly be evaluating FDDI interconnection over the QPSX MAN. We

  [stuff deleted]

>In the interests of keeping costs as low as possible, my initial thought
>is to use PC/AT compatibles with appropriate FDDI adaptors and TCP/IP
>software (with the usual features: telnet, ftp, tftp, ping, mail,
>etc.) as the hosts.
>
>Can anyone recommend appropriate FDDI adaptors and TCP/IP software
>please?
>
>John Leiseboer
>Manager, Applications Development
>QPSX Communications
>Perth, Western Australia			j.leiseboer@qpsx.oz.au

You should give Schneider and Koch a call at +7 21 792 213.  They are in
Karlsruhe, West Germany.  They have an FDDI adaptor for the PC/AT and
(probably ;-) all of the software you would need.  Good luck.

Bob O'Hara                          Net:   bob.ohara@amd.com
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.        Phone: +408-749-2321
P.O. Box 3453  MS 70                Fax:   +408-749-2825
Sunnyvale, Ca. 94088-3000
Disclaimer: Everyone needs a disclaimer and I disclaim this one.

my@dtg.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (08/31/90)

National Semiconductor is producing FDDI chipsets and
NSC is selling FDDI demo boards to demonstrate NSC's FDDI solution.
I think that the NSC FDDI demo set comes with the Evaluation FDDI
cards, SMT software, TCP/IP software and also the documentation (plus
the circuit for developers).  I don't know if NSC sells the FDDI cards
to end user, but give the NSC sales rep a call.

Also, the NSC FDDI cards runs on PC/AT platform.  I saw and used those
FDDI cards with SMT and TCP/IP softwware installed.  I was running
X-Window software on it and the combination works very well.

-- Mike
   my@dtg.nsc.com

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (08/31/90)

In article <520@pico.oz> johnl@pico.qpsx.oz (John Leiseboer) writes:
> I will shortly be evaluating FDDI interconnection over the QPSX MAN. We
> will be using the Proteon p4200 as a TCP/IP gateway into the MAN. In order
> to test end-to-end interoperability we need to connect host stations to
> the FDDI which support TCP/IP.

> Can anyone recommend appropriate FDDI adaptors and TCP/IP software
> please?

It's not cheap, but I believe HP Apollo make a workstation with a
direct FDDI connection, and all the standard TCP/IP software.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (09/02/90)

In article <1990Aug31.021317.18187@actrix.co.nz>, paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:

> It's not cheap, but I believe HP Apollo make a workstation with a
> direct FDDI connection, and all the standard TCP/IP software.

If there is a workstation vendor who is NOT working on FDDI, please say
who.  The Sun product has been available for about a year.  I was not aware
that the HP/Apollo product had finally been announced.  I think DEC
announced prices recently.  And so on and on and on.  To see how big the
cast is, get copies of the X3T9.5 FDDI documents, and look at the addresses
of the participants.

VME FDDI cards have been announced from at least 2 third party vendors, and
I know of others in progress.  At least one model has been shipped from for
many months from each of the first two vendors.

There are zillion vendors working on cards for all kinds of PC buses, using
chipsets from at least half a dozen silicon vendors.  Some of these boards,
with varying amounts of upper layer software, are available off the shelf.
At least one, the AMD Fastcard, has been available for literally years,
although without any TCP/IP to my knowledge.

This is not a good forum to search for a vendor.  You won't get a balanced
sample, whether you prefer to balance based on product volume, maturity,
price, performance, or any combination of any metrics.  Instead, you'll
just get rumors of rumors.  If I were looking for FDDI hardware today, I
would call the chip makers, and ask which of their customers have announced
products.  Don't ask me which chip vendors, because I don't know what is
still under non-disclosure.  Instead, call all of your favorite silicon
vendors and ask if they have an FDDI product.

There will be a bazillion FDDI vendors at INTEROP 90 in Oct in San Jose.
Interop Inc. would doubtless say it will be a good place to look for vendors.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com