[comp.dcom.lans] Why & how to join Internet community?

jes@mth.msu.edu (Jesse) (08/29/90)

1. How do you convince a computer company to connect its LAN to
Internet if it could use UUCP to deliver the e-mail and USENET news?
Possible answer : Use telnet/ftp.
   While telnet/ftp is convenient, it's not so important to a
   company unless you need to use remote computation substantially.

2. If a company decides to connect to Internet, what should it do to get
on the Internet?
How much will it cost for initial investment and daily operation
compared to a UUCP link?

Your help and comments will be highly appreciated.

Jesse

gupta@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rohit Gupta) (08/29/90)

jes@mth.msu.edu (Jesse) writes:
>Possible answer : Use telnet/ftp.
>   While telnet/ftp is convenient, it's not so important to a
>   company unless you need to use remote computation substantially.

Another reason why a company may not prefer a TCP/IP connection is because
of security. With telnet someone could try to login to your system. With ftp
he/she could try to steal some files. In fact, some versions of telnet/ftp
(especially on PCs and Macs) make ftp'ing files from a site trivial.

Rohit

--
 -------------------- Rohit Gupta --------  (217)244-1205 --------------------
 Internet:rohit@uiuc.edu   UUCP:uunet!uiucuxc!ux1!gupta  BITNET:GUPTA@UIUCVMD

root@smarine.UUCP (Chris Hapgood) (08/30/90)

Here's the address to write to in order to get an official Internet
address:
DDN Network Information Center
SRI International
333 Ravenswood Avenue, Room EJ291
Menlo Park, CA  94025    USA
Their phone number is (800) 235-3155.  Actually, though, they prefer
that applications be submitted electronically to HOSTMASTER@NIC.DDN.MIL.
I have the request form here (electronically) if anyone has trouble
contacting DDN.  I'll mail it upon request.  I doubt you'll need it as
the people at DDN were very helpful when I mailed and called.  By the
way, I believe there are no fees involved in getting an Internet address
assigned.

Chris Hapgood		@Virginia.EDU:@smarine.uucp:cch0241@medusa
2111 Michie Drive #100		...!uucp!virginia!smarine!medusa!cch0241
Charlottesville, VA  22901
H:(804) 977-8345 W:(804) 974-2584
--

spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu (D. Robert Spexet II) (08/30/90)

In article <3@smarine.UUCP> root@smarine.UUCP (Chris Hapgood) writes:
>...By the
>way, I believe there are no fees involved in getting an Internet address
>assigned.

This may be a bit misleading.  There may be no fees involved in getting
the address from SRI, but there are certainly fees involved (monthly cost)
for conection to the Internet.  This wonderful little network of ours cer-
tainly doesn't come for free.

-D. Robert Spexet II, Post Office Box 14909, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55414-0909
 Internet:  spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu
 BITNET:    spexet@umnacux.BITNET
 UUCP:	    rutgers!umn-cs!ux.acs.umn.edu!spexet

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Aug29.054812.8000@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rohit Gupta) writes:
>jes@mth.msu.edu (Jesse) writes:
>>Possible answer : Use telnet/ftp.
>>   While telnet/ftp is convenient, it's not so important to a
>>   company unless you need to use remote computation substantially.
>
>Another reason why a company may not prefer a TCP/IP connection is because
>of security. With telnet someone could try to login to your system. With ftp
>he/she could try to steal some files.

  If you have a smart gateway, you can configure it to refuse incoming
TCP/IP connections to certain ports.  (Bellcore does this, for
instance.)  Alternatively, run a dumb gateway but don't allow direct
TCP/IP to hosts other than the gateway; this will make it considerably
more difficult for people to break into your company.

(If I've missed something here, someone is bound to point it out. :-)

	Anton

| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |