[comp.dcom.lans] Disk Trouble

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (09/11/90)

Help!!! I have found a major incompatibility between Netware, A WD7000 FASST
SCSI controller and a Micropolis 1684-7 323Mb hard disk. Basically they just
won't work. Here's the setup.

A CBM 386SX@16Mhz, with the above hardware. Using DOS and the supplied SST
utilities (came with controller) the drive test's out perfect, no faults as you
would expect. However when I attempt to compsurf the damn thing, I get errors
on track 0 disk unusable!

I have tried everything. The disk is fine. It works under DOS, SST Disgnostics
passes it with flying colours. When I used disked on it, every write returns a
disk write error, completion code = 00 00 00 00 00 00. Doesn't matter where I
write to, but the data is written OK!

People who sold me the controller blame the disk, but the test software says
no. Columbia Data Products are the crowd that write the software for the
controller. Anybody got any ideas? The disk people are looking into it, but
there's only a couple of hours overlap in working between them and their help.

PS The ROM BIOS version on the controller is 3.34, and RAM BIOS version 3.35
The netware driver was SST Multifunction controller (old version) and the newer
SDLP driver that lets you have > 1 board in the server. No joy....

PPS. I tried another board and another machine (286 this time) still the same.
If this keeps up I might go MAD.

|  Hamish Marson                        |  Internet  hamish@waikato.ac.nz    |
|  Computer Support Person              |  Phone  (071)562889 xt 8181        |
|  Computer Science Department          |  Amiga 3000 for ME!                |
|  University of Waikato                |                                    |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

jcurtis@simasd.uucp (Jay Curtis) (09/12/90)

In article <1529.26ed1c7b@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>Help!!! I have found a major incompatibility between Netware, A WD7000 FASST
>SCSI controller and a Micropolis 1684-7 323Mb hard disk. Basically they just
>won't work. Here's the setup.
>

>A CBM 386SX@16Mhz, with the above hardware. Using DOS and the supplied SST
>utilities (came with controller) the drive test's out perfect, no faults as you
>would expect. However when I attempt to compsurf the damn thing, I get errors
>on track 0 disk unusable!
>
>I have tried everything.

This may sound like a silly question, but what novell disk device driver
did you select when gen-ing the compsurf disk?  You should have a driver
labeled "SST multifunction card"  selected to enable novell to correctly
handle this controller.  I am using a wd7000-FAST with 2 327M Imprimis
drives.  When I first got this machine I made the mistake of trying to
run compsurf comfigured for a standard AT controller on it and got these
exact results.

Hope this helps.

--Jay

--
Jay Curtis
jcurtis@simasd.UUCP

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (09/13/90)

Great News!

Thanks to all the people who responded to me about my disk troubles,
unfortunately none of you were correct, but never mind. I got an answer from
the disk supplier yesterday, they had contacted Columbia Data Products in the
states, and found that there is indeed a bug in the ROM revision on the WD7000
firmware that we were using. This bug only shows up under Novell when using a
drive manufactured by Micropolis, Priam or Fujitsu. Thats why our other 3
servers with the same hardware (sans disk) worked fine. I'm getting a ROM
upgrade in the mail from the controller suppliers that should fix the problem.

Oh Happy day!