[comp.dcom.lans] Very technical question about AMD Lance chip

sater@cs.vu.nl (Staveren van Hans) (09/13/90)

While testing out pretty high speed protocols on new hardware we noticed
that packets were transmitted incorrectly(probably some bytes out of order).
Our current theory is that setting the TDMD bit while the Lance is already
transmitting causes some internal hiccups.

Actually we can't believe this is the Lance's fault, but on the offchance
that someone has noticed this phenomenon before I decided to post this.

Answers, rumours and questions welcome,

	Hans van Staveren
	Vrije Universiteit
	Amsterdam, Holland
	(The Amoeba Project)

raw@brahms.amd.com (Robert Williams) (09/14/90)

In article <7541@star.cs.vu.nl> sater@cs.vu.nl (Staveren van Hans) writes:
>While testing out pretty high speed protocols on new hardware we noticed
>that packets were transmitted incorrectly(probably some bytes out of order).
>Our current theory is that setting the TDMD bit while the Lance is already
>transmitting causes some internal hiccups.

The LANCE's TDMD bit can be set at any time regardless
of what is happening on the network.  Setting TDMD
should not cause any transmission problems.

     Bob Williams
     Advanced Micro Devices, Sunnyvale, CA