[comp.dcom.lans] Netware 386-TCP/IP coexistence

oberste@ncifcrf.gov (Oberste) (09/13/90)

    Here's the problem: we have a PC LAN running under Novell Netware 386,
v. 3.0 and we also need to access a VAX cluster and Sun (Unix) workstations
using the Clarkson packet drivers and NCSA Telnet.

    Rebooting between Netware and Telnet sessions is out of the question,
releasing and reloading TSR drivers is too kludgy, and using a separate NIC
for each protocol is too expensive.  We have approx. 20 PCs in the LAN (mostly
286s and 386s) with 3Com 3C501 and 3C503 ethernet cards, connected to a
Compaq 386 server with a WD8103 NIC.

    Has anyone succeeded in getting NW 386 3.0 and the Clarkson packet
drivers to peacefully co-reside?  Best I can tell, the BYU system for
running Netware with packet drivers is only for NW 2.x?  It was my
understanding that in NW 3.0, multiple protocols could co-exist in parallel
protocol stacks, with software determining who got access to the lower levels
of the stack.  True?  Is this done by loading a driver on the server and
binding a protocol to it as for normal IPX use?  What about drivers on the
workstations?

If all this is possible, are the drivers available (via vendor, anonymous FTP,
or otherwise)?  Is there a packet driver available for the WD8103?

My eternal gratitude to anyone who can shed some light on this problem and
offer a (hopefully) simple solution.

--Steve
--
Steve Oberste                            Internet: oberste@ncifcrf.gov
LCMS, PRI, NCI-FCRDC

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (09/17/90)

In article <1875@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> oberste@ncifcrf.gov (Oberste) writes:

>    Has anyone succeeded in getting NW 386 3.0 and the Clarkson packet
>drivers to peacefully co-reside?  Best I can tell, the BYU system for
>running Netware with packet drivers is only for NW 2.x?  It was my
>understanding that in NW 3.0, multiple protocols could co-exist in parallel
>protocol stacks, with software determining who got access to the lower levels
>of the stack.  True?  Is this done by loading a driver on the server and
>binding a protocol to it as for normal IPX use?  What about drivers on the
>workstations?

NW 386 version 3.1 has the multiple protocol stack support.  I don't know
if TCP is available yet.....

Ken

Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook

eric@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Eric Lindsay) (09/18/90)

I  have a related question.  We have Netware 2.15, and run WD8003 cards
using NCSA TCP.  Out student XT's with boot roms run telnet from the
Novell server, and the config.tel is set for RARP.  This is fine, except
that you have to reboot the XT at the end of the telnet session.

We can't afford to move to Netware 386, and the only way we have seen to
run both is using the Garp Gateway software.  Does anyone know of other
methods that don't involve a reboot?

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (09/18/90)

In article <1875@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> oberste@ncifcrf.gov (Oberste) writes:

>    Has anyone succeeded in getting NW 386 3.0 and the Clarkson packet
>drivers to peacefully co-reside?  Best I can tell, the BYU system for
>running Netware with packet drivers is only for NW 2.x?

You can link the IPX.OBJ that ships with NW386 v3.0 to PDSHELL.OBJ
to produce a working IPX.COM that will use the underlying packet drivers.
It does not buy you very much in that the IPX module has not changed
significantly in a long time. I myself am frequently to be found running
the latest NETX shells over positively geriatric IPX.COM's and I've not
yet experienced any difficulty. However, by spending the 5 minutes or so
to link up a new IPX when you get a new version of NetWare with it's
new SHGEN-1 diskette you can sleep soundly in the knowledge that your
clients are running the IPX/NETX combo that went through our system test
labs.

>It was my
>understanding that in NW 3.0, multiple protocols could co-exist in parallel
>protocol stacks, with software determining who got access to the lower levels
>of the stack.  True?

At the server yes. The architecture of the NetWare 386 OS allows the
running of multiple concurrent protocols. As of v3.0 and v3.1 of NW386
we are only shipping IPX on the server, however, as a glance at our
NW386 theory of operations document will reveal, there can and will be
others. This is also now true at the client as per the SHGEN-1 diskette
that shipped with v3.1. Although all the old hardware drivers are still
on this diskette, there is also now a directory by the name of "DOSODI".
This directory contains the beginnings of our architecture for running
multiple protocols at the client concurrently. I say "beginnings"
because we currently only have a handfull of ODI based hardware drivers.
Also, we only have one ODI based protocol (good 'ole IPX) but again
there will be others.

So, if you want to run IPX and, for example, TCP/IP concurrently at your
clients today, the packet drivers are your answer. However, if you are
an IPX only type *and* you have one of the pieces of hardware that
we support with the ODI today then start using our ODI based client
software now. Why? Well, it's unloadable for one thing :-)
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
San Jose, California 95131                       Net:   keith@novell.COM

In article <18371@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au> eric@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Eric Lindsay) writes:

   I  have a related question.  We have Netware 2.15, and run WD8003 cards
   using NCSA TCP.  Out student XT's with boot roms run telnet from the
   Novell server, and the config.tel is set for RARP.  This is fine, except
   that you have to reboot the XT at the end of the telnet session.

I guess from this that you aren't running with the packet drivers, eh?

You need sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/novell/novell.exe and
sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/ka9q/driverss.arc, and maybe
omnigate.clarkson.ed:/pub/something-or-other (CUTCP).

All your rebooting problems will go away.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (09/19/90)

In article <18371@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au>, eric@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Eric Lindsay) writes:
> I  have a related question.  We have Netware 2.15, and run WD8003 cards
> using NCSA TCP.  Out student XT's with boot roms run telnet from the
> Novell server, and the config.tel is set for RARP.  This is fine, except
> that you have to reboot the XT at the end of the telnet session.
>
> We can't afford to move to Netware 386, and the only way we have seen to
> run both is using the Garp Gateway software.  Does anyone know of other
> methods that don't involve a reboot?

Get Release 7 of the Clarkson packet drivers from RODAN (They're free) and
use them instead of the normal IPX. What happens is that the PD talks to the
hardware, and decides if a packet is TCP/IP or NOVELL. Then it passes the
packet to the appropriate application thats currently running. NCSA Telnet
understands about packet drivers, and you have to regenerate an IPX to talk to
the PD instead of the hardware.

The packet drivers for the WD cards are simple all you have to do is have a
startup sequence like this

wd8003e -n -d 0x65 .....
packet
net3

[ Now the first line has to have the -d and -n. The -d is so that the packet
driver and boot rom code don't get tangled on startup, and the -n is so that
the servers can still talk normal Novell instead of being econfiged. The packet
is the ipx that was generated for the PD, and net3 we all know and love.

Hope this helps.

(PS. Yes I do run something similiar here, and have had no problems so far)

|  Hamish Marson                        |  Internet  hamish@waikato.ac.nz    |
|  Computer Support Person              |  Phone  (071)562889 xt 8181        |
|  Computer Science Department          |  Amiga 3000 for ME!                |
|  University of Waikato                |                                    |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

mhw@wittsend.syntrex.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (09/20/90)

In article <18371@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au> eric@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Eric Lindsay) writes:

>We can't afford to move to Netware 386, and the only way we have seen to
>run both is using the Garp Gateway software.  Does anyone know of other
>methods that don't involve a reboot?

	Have you tried the Clarkson Packet Drivers with the BYU shell to
configure ipx for your Novell.  If you use the older PDS (Packet Driver
Spec) drivers, you have to econfig your Novell server.  With the new (7.x)
drivers, this is no longer needed.  We are using them and running Netware
on the same "tube" as PC-NFS and FTP software's PC-TCP.  And yes we can
telnet while Novell is up.  We can even "copy" between a novell drive and
a PC-NFS drive or use FTP to transfer file from tcp hosts to the Novell
server.

 Michael H. Warfield   | (404) 551-7870	| mhw@WittsEnd.SYNTREX.COM
  (The Mad Wizard)     |   NIC: MHW-9	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!