[comp.dcom.lans] Banyan VINES resources

martin@hq.af.mil (Gregory.J.Martin) (09/10/90)

I help run a VINES network with 250 nodes.  We're using the SMTP gateway to
send mail over the Internet.  To make things easier for the users (er,
networkers!) I create dummy users with one-line profiles to redirect their
mail to the gateway.  This allows the networker to send mail to Joe Schmoe and
the dummy user converts it JSchmoe@some.host.on.the.net.  I've come up with
another idea to provide the same functionality.  That is, create a List named
Joe Schmoe with a single entry (JSchmoe@some...).  What I'm concerned about are
systems resources. Does a "List" use less resources than a "User"? Will this
work (my gateway is down and I can't test it today)  Thanks...Greg

jabusch@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Jabusch) (09/20/90)

martin@hq.af.mil (Gregory.J.Martin) writes:

>I help run a VINES network with 250 nodes.  We're using the SMTP gateway to
>send mail over the Internet.  To make things easier for the users (er,
>networkers!) I create dummy users with one-line profiles to redirect their
>mail to the gateway.  This allows the networker to send mail to Joe Schmoe and
>the dummy user converts it JSchmoe@some.host.on.the.net.  I've come up with

We do the same thing.  This works fine for a limited number of users.
Each user entry takes about 2KB for the profile information in the
StreetTalk database, which is very little on a large hard disk.

>another idea to provide the same functionality.  That is, create a List named
>Joe Schmoe with a single entry (JSchmoe@some...).  What I'm concerned about are
>systems resources. Does a "List" use less resources than a "User"? Will this
>work (my gateway is down and I can't test it today)  Thanks...Greg

No, this won't work, because list entires are automatically verified
via StreetTalk, and must be valid StreetTalk IDs.  We tried this also,
out of curiosity.  Finally, the same goes for nicknames.

One thing we haven't tried yet is the "inclusion" feature under STDA.
It supposedly will handle this sort of thing.  However, we use wildcards
extensively for official distribution around here, and the wildcards
would not translate to these addresses, I'm betting.

Overall, we prefer the dummy ID with forwarding mail entry.

-john

--
John W. Jabusch
INTERNET: jabusch@cerl.cecer.army.mil    MILNET: jabusch@osiris.arpa