[comp.dcom.lans] FTP's PC/TCP

martin@hq.af.mil (Gregory.J.Martin) (09/12/90)

Hello FTP folks.  I'm administering a Banyan VINES network and we use FTP's
Ebanyan and Ibanyan drivers for PC/TCP.  Could someone explain the differences
between these drivers.  Also we use WD8003E boards.  What differences are
there between that driver and the other two?  Thank you.

...Greg Martin (The Air Force won't let me speak for them!!)

jabusch@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Jabusch) (09/20/90)

martin@hq.af.mil (Gregory.J.Martin) writes:

>Hello FTP folks.  I'm administering a Banyan VINES network and we use FTP's
>Ebanyan and Ibanyan drivers for PC/TCP.  Could someone explain the differences
>between these drivers.  Also we use WD8003E boards.  What differences are
>there between that driver and the other two?  Thank you.

1.  The WD8003E board drivers allow the PC/TCP software to work directl
with the Western Digital 8003E Ethercard Plus board.  No other software
is required.  The user's session (telnet, ftp, etc.) communicates directly
with the TCP/IP host via the Ethernet.

2.  The Ebanyan drivers load as a TCP/IP stack on top of Banyan's low-level
Ethernet board driver, thereby being board-independent (as long as it's an
Ethernet board that Banyan can support).  Communications with the host is
then direct via the cable system (or through whatever TCP/IP routing
mechanisms you have in place).

3.  The Ibanyan drivers load as a TCP stack on top of Banyan's own IP
driver.  It is then board-independent.  Any board that Banyan supports
(Token Ring, Ethernet, ArcNet, StarLAN, etc.) will then work.  This is
an encapsulation method, meaning that the TCP/IP data is stuffed into
Banyan IP packets for the link between the pc and the "routing server".
The routing server "unencapsulates" the IP packets and forwards them
on appropriately.

Pros/Cons:

1.  This is fine if you as a user never need Banyan's software loaded.
If you use the Banyan network a lot, then you either have to reboot
frequently, loading either VINES or PC/TCP, or else you have to buy a
second Ethernet board to support both simultaneously.

2.  This is preferred when everybody is on one local Ethernet or Token
Ring.  The ebanyan driver can be loaded and unloaded in a batch file:
	echo off
	ebanyan
	telnet hostname
	inet unload
to simplify user interaction.  We do this here as the standard operation.

3.  This is okay in the following conditions:
	a.  You have multiple cable types between you and the TCP/IP host.
	b.  You have one or more Banyan servers bridging between you and
		the host.
	c.  Your Ethernet has a low load level.
	d.  Your server isn't excessively CPU loaded.
It has the advantage that it doesn't matter what type of Banyan topology
you are running.  Banyan is very forgiving in that respect, so using their
routers can overcome some strange situations.  The only requirement is
that the Banyan routing server must have the routing software option,
and be on either a Token Ring or Ethernet which is connected to the
TCP/IP network where the host resides.  It has the disadvantage that if
you have everyone (pcs, workstations, and hosts) on one large network
with repeaters, bridges, etc., then it doubles your traffic on at least
one segment of the network.

John W. Jabusch
INTERNET: jabusch@cerl.cecer.army.mil    MILNET: jabusch@osiris.arpa
US Mail: USA CERL, PO Box 4005 Newmark Drive, Champaign, Il 61824-4005
Voice/Phone: Commercial (217) 352-6511