[comp.dcom.lans] Connecting two computers by Arcnet -- is a hub needed?

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (09/15/90)

I have two computers to connect via Arcnet (long historical story as to how I
got them).  Basically, my question is whether a hub is needed. or whether I can simply connect the two Arcnet cards together with a coax cable of the right
type.  These Arcnet cads are the basic, Novell-type cards -- not high
impedance, etc.

If I need a hub, is a passive hub sufficient?  The two computers will be very
close to each other.

Thanks!

Dan

benderly@cs.columbia.edu

lcz@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Lee Ziegenhals) (09/17/90)

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:

>I have two computers to connect via Arcnet (long historical story as to how I
>got them).  Basically, my question is whether a hub is needed. or whether I can simply connect the two Arcnet cards together with a coax cable of the right
>type.  These Arcnet cads are the basic, Novell-type cards -- not high
>impedance, etc.

Dan, no hub is needed for this.  Since the physical configuration of an
Arcnet is basically a star instead of a bus, each node is terminated in
the proper (93 ohm) impedance.  You can just string a piece of coax between
the two computers.

Lee Ziegenhals
lcz@sat.datapoint.com

Tim.Radbourne@p5.f60.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Tim Radbourne) (09/19/90)

 > From: benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly)
 >
 > I have two computers to connect via Arcnet (long
 > historical story as to how I
 > got them).  Basically, my question is whether a hub is
 > needed. or whether I can simply connect the two Arcnet
 > cards together with a coax cable of the right
 > type.  These Arcnet cads are the basic, Novell-type
 > cards -- not high
 > impedance, etc.
 >
 > If I need a hub, is a passive hub sufficient?  The two
 > computers will be very
 > close to each other.

Just hook them up direct.  No hub is needed.  Has worked
fine for me.

--
Tim Radbourne - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!herald!weyr!60.5!Tim.Radbourne

my@dtg.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (09/20/90)

For the normal Arcnet ...
	you can connect any two stations point-to-point.
	you can connect more than two stations using active/passive
		hubs to form a star/tree type of network.

For the Hi-Z Arcnet ...
	you can connect up to 8 (I think) Hi-Z stations on a bus.
	you can connect the bus together via active hub or
		what they called active links.

in general, you should not mix the Hi-Z and the normal Arcnet together
on the same cable segment.  But ... in some cases, it will work.

-- Mike

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (09/20/90)

You can connect the two workstations together without the need of any
hubs.  If you decide to expand your LAN, you will need *at least* a
passive hub, depending on the number of nodes and the distances.  A rule
of thumb when working with arcnet is passive hub to anything is max 100 ft.
Active hub to anything (including other active hubs) is max 2000 ft.  A
workstation or server is considered an active hub for purposes of this
formula.

Ken

Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook