[comp.dcom.lans] Novell/Ethernet/Telephone line

iskim@crcc.uh.edu (09/19/90)

I need to add one work station in the Novell network via telephone (maybe
dedicated) dataline.  The work station to be added standalone AT with Western
Digital Ethernet card, and current system is running on the thin Ethernet.

Is it possible?
If possible, how can I do that and what do I need?

Please post to the News or email to me.
Thanks.

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (09/20/90)

In article <3025.26f66e48@crcc.uh.edu> iskim@crcc.uh.edu writes:
>I need to add one work station in the Novell network via telephone (maybe
>dedicated) dataline.  The work station to be added standalone AT with Western
>Digital Ethernet card, and current system is running on the thin Ethernet.
>
>Is it possible?
>If possible, how can I do that and what do I need?

The thing to remember is the difference in speed between your LAN and the
dataline.  The connection is very possible, but performance is an issue.
Novell provides an asynch. driver for use with net3 or net4.  It takes the
place of the ipx (it is an ipx.com configured for the asynch port).  You will
need an asynch bridge on the other end for this to work.  The other solution
is a true MAC layer ethernet bridge between your LAN and the remote workstation
COST is a big factor here however, so if you only have one remote workstation,
it may not be worth it.  Depending on your application, you might want to
check out using a cubix card in the server running the asynch gateway/bridge
or some host bbs software.  I hope this helps!

Ken

Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook