[comp.dcom.lans] 10Base-T and RJ-11 wiring?

morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (08/10/90)

OK, all you folks with big happy 10Base-T networks, maybe you can help
us out.  We're looking at doing (finally) our first big 10Base-T
installation, and are wondering how to fit it in with our existing
telephone wiring plant.  I'm aware that 10Base-T standardizes the
pinouts when used with an RJ-45 connector, but our plant uses 6-wire
RJ-11 exclusively.

So, is there a standard for use of RJ-11 pins for 10Base-T?  If not,
how have others in this situation established their internal
standards?  Presumably the way you use the pairs for voice or other
data connections will have some influence on this.

In particular, we'd like to buy off-the-shelf twisted-pair jumper
cables to connect between the RJ-45 connector on the computer's
10Base-T adaptor and the RJ-11 on the wall.  Are these available from
some place?  Do they have a standard for how they make them up, or do
people just custom-order?

Thanks,

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford
   morgan@jessica.stanford.edu

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug9.185455.3488@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:

> In particular, we'd like to buy off-the-shelf twisted-pair jumper
> cables to connect between the RJ-45 connector on the computer's
> 10Base-T adaptor and the RJ-11 on the wall.  Are these available from
> some place?  Do they have a standard for how they make them up, or do
> people just custom-order?

	Ah, an opportunity to answer a question, rather than ask
our RL "Bob" Morgan, the man who has been so helpful to everyone
else on the net for years.  Let me give some background for the
benefit of others.

	RJ-11 is set-up pairwise like so:

             3   2   1   1   2   3

	and RJ-45 is set-up pairwise like so:

         3   3   2   1   1   2   4   4

	We usually number the RJ-45 pins like so;

         1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

and 10BaseT goes like;

	tx+ tx- rx+ ... ... rx- ... ...

Pair numbers are determined by the punchdown sequence on the closet block
and not by the jack pin numbers or wire colors.

	You see right away what the problem is.  Only pair 1 and 2 match,
but 10BaseT uses pairs 2 and 3 which don't match on the jacks.

	I would recommend replacing the RJ-11 and using standard
patch cords.

	Assuming you have a single three pair cable to each outlet, you
could pull out the single RJ-11 jack and install one or two jacks.

	You could simply swap the RJ-11 for an RJ-45.  The RJ-45
would simply be missing the fourth pair.  Terminate the pairs according
to RJ-45 sequence.

	Or you could install a pair of jacks in place of one.  The first
jack could be RJ-11 with pair 1 installed where pair 1 belongs on a RJ-11.
Install tip and ring on this jack for the phone.  That jack is a replacement
for the one you pulled out.

	The second jack is an RJ-45.  Install pair 2 and pair 3 where
they belong on a RJ-45.  There will be no pair 1 or pair 4.  Or you could
jumper pair 1 from the other jack to pair 1 and allow a tip and ring
on jack 2 as well as 1.  You could use this jack for Ethernet or other
data, like LocalTalk or RS-232.  Don't jumper tip and ring if you are
going to make this a general data outlet.

	We use straight-thru patch cords from the xcvr to the wall.  We use
RJ-45 exclusively and four pair circuits.

	Chuck von Lichtenberg (chuckles@bu-it.bu.edu) is an engineer
in my group who has worked with Cabletron on twisted pair Ethernet for years.
Chuck convinced Cabletron to offer a 50 pin connector on their concentrators
and to do the cross-over inside their system.  You can therefore use standard
patch cords, standard 25 pair cables, and standard punchdown and jacks with
Cabletron and their 50 pin interface.  Cabletron listens and designs
systems for large installation bases like ours.  I believe we have 3-400
10BaseT ports today.

	If you use Synoptics or other hardware that offer RJ-45 connectors
you will have to do your own crossover.  We would recommend doing it
at the interface to the concentrator, keeping all other hardware
standard.

	--Kent

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug9.185455.3488@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:

> In particular, we'd like to buy off-the-shelf twisted-pair jumper
> cables to connect between the RJ-45 connector on the computer's
> 10Base-T adaptor and the RJ-11 on the wall.  Are these available from
> some place?  Do they have a standard for how they make them up, or do
> people just custom-order?

	Ah, an opportunity to answer a question, rather than ask
our RL "Bob" Morgan, the man who has been so helpful to everyone
else on the net for years.  Let me give some background for the
benefit of others.

	RJ-11 is set-up pairwise like so:

             3   2   1   1   2   3

	and RJ-45 is set-up pairwise like so:

         3   3   2   1   1   2   4   4

	We usually number the RJ-45 pins like so;

         1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

and 10BaseT goes like;

	tx+ tx- rx+ ... ... rx- ... ...

Pair numbers are determined by the punchdown sequence on the closet block
and not by the jack pin numbers or wire colors.

	You see right away what the problem is.  Only pair 1 and 2 match,
but 10BaseT uses pairs 2 and 3 which don't match on the jacks.

	I would recommend replacing the RJ-11 and using standard
patch cords.

	Asceming you have a single three pair cable to each outlet, you

dpz@action.rutgers.edu (David Paul Zimmerman) (08/11/90)

>	RJ-11 is set-up pairwise like so:
>             3   2   1   1   2   3
>	and RJ-45 is set-up pairwise like so:
>         3   3   2   1   1   2   4   4
>	We usually number the RJ-45 pins like so;
>         1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Now I'm confused.  I've set up my 10baseT environment under the idea that the
RJ45 socket was

pins	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8
pairs	2	2	3	1	1	3	4	4

which translates on the closet 110 block to
pairs	1	1	2	2	3	3	4	4
"pins"	5	4	1	2	3	6	7	8

and it works.  I do believe your RJ-11 breakdown, though.

>> In particular, we'd like to buy off-the-shelf twisted-pair jumper
>> cables to connect between the RJ-45 connector on the computer's
>> 10Base-T adaptor and the RJ-11 on the wall.  Are these available from
>> some place?  Do they have a standard for how they make them up, or do
>> people just custom-order?

This isn't a cable, but you can get a frob from Brand Rex that you plug
between your RJ45 and RJ11 that looks (from the catalog) like it will do the
job.  It is their part number BR850-MET/RJ25C.  It claims to go

pin			6	5	4	3	2	1
pair			3	2	1	1	2	3
					female
	X	X			 male
pair	8	7	6	5	4	3	2	1
pin	4	4	3	1	1	3	2	2

and from what I understand of 10baseT it should do the trick, if you do the
closet appropriately.  They also have a version of that with two female
sockets.  If neither will do the job, they still might be able to help you,
custom or otherwise, esp for a large job.  Brand Rex is in Connecticut,
203-456-1706.

					David
--
David Paul Zimmerman                                     dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Systems Programmer						    rutgers!dpz

dpz@action.rutgers.edu (David Paul Zimmerman) (08/14/90)

Woop.  The Brand Rex connector actually looks like this:

					female
pin			6	5	4	3	2	1
pair			3	2	1	1	2	3
pair	4	4	3	1	1	3	2	2
pin	8	7	6	5	4	3	2	1
					 male

Sorry for the confusion.  That's what I get for copying verbatim and then
(too) quickly tweaking for clarity.

						David

--
David Paul Zimmerman                                     dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Systems Programmer						    rutgers!dpz
Rutgers Univ Center for Discrete Math and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS)

autor@sunc1.cs.uiuc.edu (09/26/90)

When I installed a SynOptics system (close enough to 10baseT for this
problem) 2 years ago, I also wanted to use the existing RJ11 jacks, since
new jacks had been installed <1 before, and they were dual jacks, with
a port labeled "voice" and a port labeled "data".  After figuring out
the transformation from 10BaseT RJ-45 to RJ-11, I had Black Box Corp. make
up the cables for me.  We made it into a "special part number", and now
order them like any other cable.  As far as any problems go, I've had
none.  The only possible problem would be with users plugging the Ethernet
cable into the voice outlet..  But my users have always kept away from the
computer cables anyway.
   Since this adaptation was made at the station, the rest of the building
wiring is completely standard.

Jeff Autor                      | "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out"
autor@cs.uiuc.edu               |  of my hat!"
At the University of Illinois   | "Again?"
                                | "Nuthin up my sleeve [riiiippppp]!
Also affiliated with:           |  Presto!"
Valmont Electric, Danville, IL  | [ROAR!]
                                | "No doubt about it, I gotta get me a
Opionions expressed are mine!   |  new hat..."