[comp.dcom.lans] Novell crashes revisted

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (09/24/90)

For the past two months, I have had nothing but problems with a configuration
consisting of a Nec PowerMate SX Plus / Conner 100meg IDE / Compex Enet|M
and Novell ELS I v2.12 .

Initial keyboard problems in non-dedicated mode were solved by an NEC keyboard
controller upgrade.  However, spontaneous crashes continue to plage the system.

On the advice of Nec tech support, I added 512K of additonal RAM (for a
total of 1536K of usable server memory (total RAM = 2.5meg)).  The problems
persist.  The server crashes and produces visible garbage on the server's
screen consisting of characters > ASCII 128.  Rebooting is the only solution.

Have any of you encountered similar problems with NEC hardware or Compex
ethernet cards/drivers ????

The crashes happen at least once a day....  Any advice/hunches would be
greatly appreciated !

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: Pascal@cam.org   Applelink: CDA0585   |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

ccc121e@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Dave Schwarz) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep23.211858.7712@CAM.ORG>, pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:
> For the past two months, I have had nothing but problems with a configuration
> consisting of a Nec PowerMate SX Plus / Conner 100meg IDE / Compex Enet|M
> and Novell ELS I v2.12 .
>
> Initial keyboard problems in non-dedicated mode were solved by an NEC keyboard
> controller upgrade.  However, spontaneous crashes continue to plage the system.
>
> On the advice of Nec tech support, I added 512K of additonal RAM (for a
> total of 1536K of usable server memory (total RAM = 2.5meg)).  The problems
> persist.  The server crashes and produces visible garbage on the server's
> screen consisting of characters > ASCII 128.  Rebooting is the only solution.
>
> Have any of you encountered similar problems with NEC hardware or Compex
> ethernet cards/drivers ????
>
> The crashes happen at least once a day....  Any advice/hunches would be
> greatly appreciated !

What you don't mention is  if you have a 16bit network card or an 8 bit
network card, NECs get very up set if the card is 8bit  and you haven't
told the machine that all memory between c0000->e0000 is 8 bit.
The problem is due to the video card doing some smarts. If you reconfigure
the vidio card to only use 8bit memory accesses you may fix the problem.
We have had a few network problems with some of out NECs and everytime
it came back to this problem.

Dave
|Dave Schwarz @ Monash Uni Caulfield Campus   |         Dont you just love a   |
|900 Dandynong Rd,East Caulfield,Vic,Australia|         place that takes away  |
|ccc121e@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au      <------  |your name and gives you a number|