[comp.dcom.lans] Serial Line Multiplexers

dave@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov (David Hayes) (09/26/90)

I need a device that will allow a user calling in on a modem to select one of
two computers like so:

                         *------ Computer A
modem  ------------o----->
                         *------ Computer B

                  |_______|

(This switch software selectable by user calling in on modem)

Do these exist? How many lines can I have? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
----
Dave Hayes  dave@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov

macklin@garnet.berkeley.edu (Macklin Burnham) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.004728.28349@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov> dave@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov (David Hayes) writes:
>I need a device that will allow a user calling in on a modem to select one of
>two computers like so:
>
>                         *------ Computer A
>modem  ------------o----->
>                         *------ Computer B
>
>                  |_______|
>(This switch software selectable by user calling in on modem)
>
>Do these exist? How many lines can I have? How much do they cost?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

My brand new Black Box catalogue shows exactly what you want, called a
"serial code operated switch", for only $290. They also have 4- and 8-port
versions, for $450 and $650, respectively.
Mack Burnham

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (10/01/90)

>>I need a device that will allow a user calling in on a modem to select one of
>>two computers like so:
>>
>>                         *------ Computer A
>>modem  ------------o----->
>>                         *------ Computer B
>>
>>                  |_______|
>>(This switch software selectable by user calling in on modem)
>>
>My brand new Black Box catalogue shows exactly what you want, called a
>"serial code operated switch", for only $290. They also have 4- and 8-port
>versions, for $450 and $650, respectively.

The big question would be if it handles DTR, CD, etc correctly.  You need
this for a production dial-in setup.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us