[comp.dcom.lans] SQE test on transceivers

nbirkman@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Nancy Birkmann - DCS) (10/04/90)

IEEE 802.3 transceivers generate a signal known as
Signal Quality Error Test (SQE).  Ethernet V2.0
transceivers generate a similar signal known as
Collision Presence Test or "heartbeat" and confirms that
the collision detect circuitry in the transceiver
is operating.

I  read a statement that the SQE signal is not allowed for
transceivers that connect to 802.3 repeaters.
Why?

Also, many transceiver manufacturers (e.g. Allied
Telesis, Cabletron, Interlan...) provide an option of
either providing this signal or turning it off.
Under what circumstances should the signal be turned off?

That is about all the information I have.

Most of the transceivers in our system to date have been
Digital H4000s where these options were not available.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct3.191251.26769@watserv1.waterloo.edu> nbirkman@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Nancy Birkmann - DCS) writes:

This is a recurring topic. I am sure that you will receive
many answers, so I'll just address the points, and I'll
leave the philosophical disucssions to others. :-)

>I  read a statement that the SQE signal is not allowed for
>transceivers that connect to 802.3 repeaters.
>Why?

Because SQE and Collision detect are two names for the same
set of wires. The meaning of the wires  is determined by the
timeframe relative to the transmission of a packet; see the 802.3
documentation. Most repeaters do not buffer, so don't really know
the wheres and whens of the beginning and end of packets. Remember
that a repeater repeats what it sees on one segment to all others.
If it sees the SQE as a collision, then it will jam all other segments
to propagate that collision. Ditto for connecting a repeater up to
a fanout box where the fanout box is connected via an SQE enabled
tranceiver.

>Also, many transceiver manufacturers (e.g. Allied
>Telesis, Cabletron, Interlan...) provide an option of
>either providing this signal or turning it off.
>Under what circumstances should the signal be turned off?

I leave it off, unless the equipment really needs SQE. If it
does, and one is not present, you will receive a message indicating
such. You will probably receive many different opinions.

>Most of the transceivers in our system to date have been
>Digital H4000s where these options were not available.

The H4000's are field retrofitable to enable/disable SQE/Heartbeat
by cutting a capacitor lead inside them. Also, I think that the
H4005 or the H4000-BA (with the lead cut from the factory)
are the non-SQE'd tranceivers, while the standard H4000 is the
one with the SQE. It's been a while since I have been around
a lot of DEC stuff, so treat the above paragraph with due caution.

John Stewart
DREnet Coordinator
jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca