[comp.dcom.lans] WD8003E <> WD8013

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/03/90)

I hope someone can give me a definate answer to this question I keep getting
vague answers on!

Will ALL of the ethernet drivers written for the WD 8003E<8bit> ethernet
board work with the WD8013<16 bit> ethernet board?   Some people say
no, others say they don't know, yet I keep seeing references to things like
'...but the drivers will work in 8 bit emulation mode on the 8013'
I have the manual for the 8013 board, but it doesn't mention anything about
an 8 bit emulation mode, which if it exists, I would assume to be a
compatability mode to the 8003E board.
Is there sort of an emulation mode in the 8013 to make the software think
its an 8003E?

Thanks,
Charles

paik@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Yunki Paik) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct3.150321.27149@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:

>Will ALL of the ethernet drivers written for the WD 8003E<8bit> ethernet
>board work with the WD8013<16 bit> ethernet board?   Some people say

Here is my experience. NCSA telenet (CUTE 2.2d) will *not* work with
16bit WD8013.  It will, however, works if you use packet driver.

So, the answer to your question is NO, but some will work.

--
Yunki Paik
paik@lance.tis.llnl.gov

matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) (10/07/90)

In article <1096@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> paik@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Yunki Paik) writes:

>Here is my experience. NCSA telenet (CUTE 2.2d) will *not* work with
>16bit WD8013.  It will, however, works if you use packet driver.
>
>So, the answer to your question is NO, but some will work.

My experience is that Interactive TCP/IP & NFS 1.2 on a 386 *does* work with the
8013 - although I haven't had enough time to benchmark the speed differences
between the 8003 and 8013.

Also, PC-NFS on MS-DOS *works* fine with the 8013 - we have 3 8013's and
about 9 8003's on a network and run the same software on all of them.

matt
--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: uunet!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp.

dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) (10/07/90)

In article <362@iquery.UUCP> matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) writes:

>My experience is that Interactive TCP/IP & NFS 1.2 on a 386 *does* work with the
>8013 - although I haven't had enough time to benchmark the speed differences
>between the 8003 and 8013.

One thing to note; there are two versions of the WD8013.  The WD8013EBT
works the same as the old WD8003E and the WD8003EBT.  The WD80x3EB requires
a little extra programming at setup time.  The EBT version works with
Interactive TCP/IP 1.2 but the EB version has problems in the current
release.  We do have an update in the works.

The EB vs. EBT doesn't seem to show up on the box, but should be marked
on the board itself.  This could be a difference people are seeing but
not realizing.  The other difference is that the EB versions are software
setup while the EBT versions are jumper setup.  Unless the driver(s) in
question determine the difference and do the appropriate setup, there
can be problems.